Questions

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Questions

Post by TH - The Hunt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 pm

First, levies are not 'newly trained or mustered units'. They're levied units. The whole concept of levies is that they can respond quickly when needed; they're just also low-quality and if they die the province loses a level permanently. It's a free action to raise them.

I think this is the order of things...

Turn 0: HW and MT telegraph their intentions to settle, and fight for, the province between them.
Turn 1, WM1: MT (and his ally) win initiative. In his first action, MT settle the province, sending levies and his guard there as 'administrative movement'. His ally follows; the goblins arrive in one war move after quick river movement. HW did not win initiative, so his army arrives after the defenders are in place. The battle occurs. Theft occurs as a result of MT's next domain action, or a simultaneous lieutenant action.
WM2: Doesn't matter.

Telegraphed attacks can be pretty dangerous. The game is rocket tag this early.

It's true that 2 units of levies shouldn't be available in WM1, unless they were (aggressively-dispatched) goblins. And that'd require two ships.
Last edited by TH - The Hunt on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:30 pm

SA - Solaira of Astora wrote:
Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:29 pm
It doesn’t say they can only defend in province they were raised.
Correct, but it's a war action to move the way they did, and they can't do war actions this round.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:32 pm

They mustered levies in their startin level 1 province in action 1 as free action. They settled the hills in action 1 making it their homeland and you attacked in action 1. So the rules say mustered units can act in defensive actions so the levies were able to be used in defense against your attack. And a war was declared so they get war moves same as attacker.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:33 pm

Cannot send levies as a war action, as they are not allowed to take war actions the turn they are mustered.

Initiative order does matter on who settled, but those levies can't be there. It's not possible.

Also you can't muster as a free action, and it takes 2 actions to settle to 1, so not enough actions to muster troops, with the war move to send the trooos. It does not add up.
Last edited by HW - Halmond Westerly on Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

JB - Jontinius Bruin

Post by JB - Jontinius Bruin » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:33 pm

while I agree that muster and move does not seem RAI is is RAW. Which with no war move needed since no enemy province, they have you there

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:34 pm

The levies are not 'newly trained or mustered units'. They're levied units. They're meant to respond quickly, but they're only suitable for defense.

Declare War is only needed to move into hostile provinces. You can move units into friendly provinces without a domain action. The naval transport might have required it...

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:35 pm

You can muster units regularly and you can also muster levies if you are invaded by levying the province. And unless the rules changed mustering is a free action.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:35 pm

What do you mean 'you can't muster as a free action'? You can only muster as a free action. I didn't know you could muster levies in a level 0 province, though...

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:36 pm

There was 1 Halfling levy, 1 Goblin Archer, 1 Halfling Scout.
Technically, the Levy can fight defensively in the domain, it doesn't say cannot defend adjacent same-owned province.

That said, it is not entirely clear in the rules that you are allowed to move to defend in same action, to be fair. It was the assumed rule, and has been what people have done, but could be clearer.

Alternatively, I also tried the battle without the levies just to see - the Infantry + Leadership, still lost to Goblin Archer + Halfling Scout + Leadership

-------------------
Also, though... I'd point out.
It takes your Infantry 3 war moves to reach the province

Halfling Scouts arrive in 1 war move ("scout movement")
Halfling Levies also arrive in 1 war move

Goblin Archers arrive in 3 war moves, but had higher initiative (so before you). They do so by sea (1 WM to load/unload, and 1.5(rounded up to 2) to arrive in Hills)

And again, this was not 1 person taking all the actions. I want to stress this again. It is not 1 v 1, the goblin archers should make that clear at the least, and the sudden Inns of Mats (temples) that "support the invaders" should probably give a clue as to the scope of the actions.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Wed Apr 24, 2019 8:37 pm

Crap can’t copy paste on phone very well.. under rules/actions/free actions read near the bottom of free actions