Questions

MS - Meaghan Smith

Re: Questions

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:51 am

Hope he feels better!
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 9:59 am

Yeah, he seems okay so far.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 12:38 pm

3 turns to finish, 5 to double check... and then done.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Feb 01, 2019 1:41 pm

So done/last checks, and then will send out.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 5:44 pm

So...I have a question for everyone. I'm trying to build up my spellbook, and looking at the realm spells I notice that the Source Node requirement for the realm spells, and I note that realm spells take a slot for spells known for a wizard. However, I'm not seeing where the indication of what level spell a realm spell would be. Am I being blind and missing something?

I had thought that the source size required was an indication of what level spell the would be, but our gracious Gm was saying that was incorrect. Rather than bug him all day, I thought I'd see if anyone else had a ready answer.

Thank you in advance!
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 6:07 pm

Many wizard realm spells require a lower character level than source level, so they're nothing to worry about. Some exceptions are Legion of Dead and Raze, which require a level 7 wizard (making it a 4th level spell). If you're at least level 7, you can cast every realm spell regardless. Warding, Stronghold, and Death Plague require 5th level (3rd level spells), the others only need level 1 or 3 (1st or 2rd level spells). You're most likely to run out of 1st level spells known, since you start with so many of them, so you might want to save spots for Dispel Realm Magic, Scry, Subversion, or Alchemy.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:15 pm

Okay, so if I understand correctly, the source level is indicative of spell level needed, based on the required wizard level to hold a source of that size?
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:28 pm

No, there's no connection between source level and character level whatsoever. A level 1 wizard can command a level 9 source, they just won't be able to do anything more fancy with it than turn lead into gold. A level 7 wizard can cast any spell so long as they have at least a level 7 source, though most of those spells don't require a level 7 wizard or source (and none need both).
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas

Post by DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:30 pm

A few spells in the desc states what minimum level it requires. Otherwise, its always 1st level.
“No dimensions are closed to the ones in service of the Universal Law.”
Nur Hayati Corben-Talas

JB - Jontinius Bruin

Post by JB - Jontinius Bruin » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:33 pm

no

The caster level is different and comes from another book.

Nehid though provided a great run down of what that book says.