Questions

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Re: Questions

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Mon Feb 04, 2019 7:41 pm

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=7

Scroll down and it shows what source level is required to even attempt a specific Realm Spell. Then read the description and see what level you need to be if any for it to have any effect.

Gold Rush
(Conjuration/Summoning)
Regency: 10RP
Gold: 0GB
Duration: Special
Gold rush increases productivity of two characters. The result is a 50% increase in domain income in the next domain turn following the casting of the spell. It also impct trade route income. This spell may be used on a character no more then once in 3 turns.

For this spell your level doesn't matter. If you have researched the spell and have a level 2 Source you can cast on you and any other regent who has a holding where you have access to a level 2 source.

Summoning
(Conjuration/Summoning)
Regency: 4RP/unit
Gold: 2GB/unit
Duration: 1 Turn + 1 Action/level
Using a powerful summoning spell, a wizard creates an army to do his bidding. At third level, a Wizard can summon 2x Gnollish Irregulars, at sixth level she could summon 2x Orog Infantry or Archers, or 4 Gnollish Irregulars, and at 9th: 2 Stonecrown Ogres, or 4 Orogs, or 6 Gnolls. The army is available to defend where they are summoned the action they are summoned, but cannot move until the following action.

For the above spell you need a level 3 source to cast it. In the description it says at third level you can summon 2x Gnollish Irregulars. So for this spell to have any effect you would need to be a minimum of 3rd level for it to be of any use and at higher levels it is more powerful.

You just have to read each spell description and if it mentions effects based on level then you will see what minimum level you need to be. If it does not say anything like that then you can cast it at level 1.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 8:37 pm

Okay thank you all! This is my first blush run on 2nd Edition (familiar with birthright, not 2nd ed) so I'm a bit behind on the learning curve. I appreciate the help and the patience!
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:43 pm

Okay, wait...actually I'm even more confused now. So basically 90% of the realm spells count as 1st level spells since almost all of them don't mention needing any specific level to be able to cast? Does this count as spells that I can have in my spell book, and are counted among the 2 +1(specialty) spell that I get per level? Or are they counted among the spells that I can prepare per day? Are realm spells completely separate from the spell book?
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:48 pm

Much less than 90%. I get the spell level requirements from the Birthright Rulebook.

Realm spells are not separate, they do have spell levels. You don't get them for free, they take an action to research. They count toward your limit on spells known per spell level. You can't prepare them as daily spells because they take a month to prepare.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:54 pm

Okay, poor wording on some of that. They do count on the spell slots able to be prepared daily, but not as ones that can be prepared daily. IE, if I have Gold Rush memorized, I have fewer other 1st level spells I can memorize daily.

Also, yeah about 90% I've gone through all of the realm spells through 4th level sources, and only 3 spells aren't counting as 1st level, based on:

"You just have to read each spell description and if it mentions effects based on level then you will see what minimum level you need to be. If it does not say anything like that then you can cast it at level 1."

It also means that characters with more than about 2 or 3 realm spells would be absolutely screwed on 1st level spells, because having a realm spell would mean they aren't learning enough 1st level spells to function.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 pm

You don't need to memorize the Realm spells, day to day, though.

At any rate, if she had 15-16 INT she could learn up to: 11/level, that should be enough for realm spells/normal spells, 17: 14... And if it really isn't, you could probably sacrifice a 2nd level spell known slot to add an extra 1st level.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:04 pm

Yeah, well don't base it on the description, base it on what level it says the spells are in the rule books. I don't have all the rule books, but the core book has most of the spells, and of the 13 wizard spells that are in it, only 4 are 1st level spells.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:13 pm

DM Juan wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 9:58 pm
You don't need to memorize the Realm spells, day to day, though.
Right and that's good! (yay for not having too much complication!) On the other hand...I'd still have to prepare for a realm spell which would lessen my ability to go on adventures, and the spells that I can have for that. If I've got my 8 +2 (specialty) +2 from 2nd level...that I can know...that's 12 total spells for first level. Realm spells counting to how many spells I can know (not prep) starts really meaning having realm spells cuts down on the ability to know spells.

I'm not trying to be difficult, but there has to be something I'm missing here that makes knowing realm spells not bugger a caster's selection.

And now I think I've poked a bear, because I will be even deeper trying to find the spells in the rule books (some of which won't be in the rule books) for 2nd ed, and I've got conflicting reports of how to tell what spell level the realm spells would fall into.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 pm

You're never going to be casting a realm spell while going on an adventure, since going on an adventure and casting a realm spell are mutually exclusive regent actions.

I just reserved 4 first level spell slots for realm magic and called it a day. You are beyond lucky if you find the time to research so many realm spells you run out of spell slots. And if you're low level, you won't be for long, since the XP curve puts everyone between level 6 and 9 for the most part.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:25 pm

NS - Nehid Sehir wrote:
Mon Feb 04, 2019 10:22 pm
You're never going to be casting a realm spell while going on an adventure, since going on an adventure and casting a realm spell are mutually exclusive regent actions.
Okay, 1 that is awesome to know that. I didn't remember those being mutually exclusive. It makes sense, all things considered, but I didn't remember that. However...actually, no "however." It's up to me to figure out how to manage my spell book. Short and long answer is that it's up to me to manage my spellbook, and most realm spells are going to take up spell slots.

My apologies all for bellyaching.