Questions - Diaspora IV

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Questions - Diaspora IV

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:58 pm

If they only die because of exploding sixes (or particularly risky bets from their player), and even then only on failed charisma checks, then it's not going to be very often, anyway.

I don't think it's that realistic that 'very few' nobles die... Agincourt was devastating for the French nobility and there's plenty of other examples. It depends on how intense the conflict is. If the conflict isn't very intense, then the nobles on either side will take fewer risks, thus facing lower adventure DCs and less often fighting until their unit is destroyed.

Players can say that their units (including hero units) retreat when they take a hit to reduce the risk of getting wiped out. Usually, they do that anyway if morale fails.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:01 pm

DC6 all the way!
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:05 pm

In case it was missed earlier, exploding d6s were dropped on war adventures.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

JB - Jontinius Bruin

Post by JB - Jontinius Bruin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:04 pm

Agincourt is a bad example because it should never have happened. Required grand stupidity.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:09 pm

I dunno... that sounds representative of the sort of wars we have where regents die on the battlefield in this game.

JB - Jontinius Bruin

Post by JB - Jontinius Bruin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:16 pm

It and Crecy are the examples of battles that were lost by stupidity and never should have happened. Specifically outliers in history.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:19 pm

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_m ... _disasters Eh. Just gonna leave this here, then.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:23 pm

AB - Alim Büyücü wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:54 pm
BM - Brucal von Mauler wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 pm
Yeah lots of nobles got whacked and a lot were captured. But my point lies with all those who were whacked. They weren’t immune. We have plenty of chances for leaders to live. But there should be always the risk of death that you cannot manipulate your way into immunity from.
My point is that, as I understand it, very few nobles got whacked in battles. Having nobles die right and left wouldn't match what we know about how things went (at least in Europe).

That said, maybe a "no quarter" option should be possible, where you just don't take prisoners. Might make sense for a gheallie sidhe sort of squad, and might be required in other cases (say, if using undead). If fighting against someone who has declared no quarter, there's no CHA check to be captured. It's either escape or death.
I can think of another instance where no quarter would make sense. Stay tuned!

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:26 pm

MF - Morcuan the Fay wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:58 pm
If they only die because of exploding sixes (or particularly risky bets from their player), and even then only on failed charisma checks, then it's not going to be very often, anyway.

I don't think it's that realistic that 'very few' nobles die... Agincourt was devastating for the French nobility and there's plenty of other examples. It depends on how intense the conflict is. If the conflict isn't very intense, then the nobles on either side will take fewer risks, thus facing lower adventure DCs and less often fighting until their unit is destroyed.

Players can say that their units (including hero units) retreat when they take a hit to reduce the risk of getting wiped out. Usually, they do that anyway if morale fails.
Yeah I’ve read lists of dead in some battles but it’s been a long time ago. Bunch of nobles. There was no 24 hour news network so only the very important people made it into the basic history books but there are lists of some battles but it’s hard to find those.

JB - Jontinius Bruin

Post by JB - Jontinius Bruin » Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:37 pm

Yes, list of disasters. Things that went how they shouldn't have gone.

From your own article

"In this list a military disaster is the unexpected and sound defeat of one side in a battle or war, sometimes changing the course of history."