Questions - Diaspora IV

TF - The Fortress

Re: Questions - Diaspora IV

Post by TF - The Fortress » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:31 am

Just plan with the spells you have, easy fix.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:39 am

DH - Dweomerheart wrote:
Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:29 am
The process of learning the spell has nothing to do with spellbooks and materials according to phb. I asked because teaching, learning and describing spells are all different processes in phb. If this is a special rule it should be written somewhere- we have lost hours creating a plan from phb which Juan has written under wizards we should use in rules. And he just answered now without reason why this rule is changed. Because you can cast this spell only once and forgot most things at end of main it's not clear why this rule is created. It makes only things unwieldy if lots of special rules exists which are not written anywhere and make no sense, too. I have to ask for everything just to be sure it's not changed before creating a new plan.
Wizard Rules:
Gaining Normal Spells:
@leveling: Wizards gain 2 spells + 1 spell if they have a specialization (must be taken from said specialization)
Wizards start with 8 spells at level 1 + 2 from their chosen specialization.

Researching (Non-Realm) Spells:
Access to a library allows you to learn 2 new spells-levels per library level (eg, 2 level 1 spells, or 1 level 2 spell) as a Free Action, once per turn
Alternatively, you may spend a domain action to learn 2 new spells, or 2x (Library+1) spells (of any level)
NB: This refers to spells that can be found on www.purpleworm.org/rules - you will not be creating new spells, or learning spells from other sources. Note: You can learn spells from BR specific source books, as well.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

MaH - Meganno al Hamam

Post by MaH - Meganno al Hamam » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:44 am

That's not the point- I have the spell and someone else not. The point is frustrating to no end if we are messaging a plan in forum half the night based on written rules and after nearly 14 hours we get a new unwritten rule from Juan nobody knows which crashes all we have done. It's not that I have unlimited time doing this again. So somebody else have to take over lead. All of your written rules in the last message are from phb but nobody has written: This is the only possibility how to learn new spells- all other rules from all 15 books are ignored or something like this. Only the sources of spells you can choose are reduced to the link.

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Thu Apr 22, 2021 8:56 am

The rule is pretty clear, for these campaigns you gain new spells by leveling or at a library (free action) or with a domain action. That's it. Very clear and straight forward.

Build a plan with the spells you have and if you need other spells, take a note and learn them for the next time. That's life, you don't always have what you need when you want it :)
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:06 am

Seems the reason why (aside from that in this game that's all abstracted out into use of the library or domain actions) is because it takes a long time and isn't related to completing the adventure. I believe if your character attempts to spend days doing things unrelated to the adventure during the Calling they'll fugue out regardless of what they're doing.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:28 am

Pretty much that. If you spend a large portion of time doing unrelated things on the Call, it is entirely possible it will simply end. If you could bypass the research requirements by simply swapping entire spell-books on the Call, it also invalidates the point of Libraries, and learning spells.

2x Library+1 Spells for an action. Going on the Calling and learning 6 new spells would be basically shoeing in a full action at a library 2, into an adventure action.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:32 am

I'd also point out that it takes 1-2 days per spell level in AD&D to actually add a spell to your list... are you really spending a week trading spells before doing the adventure?

MaH - Meganno al Hamam

Post by MaH - Meganno al Hamam » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:37 am

It seems some people have not read my mail or phb. Normally in PhB it Takes no time except preparation to learn a spell. Only writing down it takes time.
You can cast it only once if you not write it down. So you don‘t loose time in main adv. You can also not swap spells.

If I write somewhere you can do that and that and look at the following link for more information you have to state clearly for what points that link is not valid. Of course not for leveling and for research. But nothing is written about other spellbooks or teaching there, so no it is not pretty clear. And using normal rules is not bypassing others- you have to write that down to be clear. That is my last Mail regarding this, Beeing really angry about the matter.
Last edited by MaH - Meganno al Hamam on Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:41 am

I didn't think it was possible to prepare a spell (or count it as 'learned') until you've written it down in your spellbook. That's the first I've heard of there being an option to prepare a spell from someone else's spellbook, in any edition.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:50 am

It takes 1 day per spell level, minimum, to scribe a scroll. You are suggesting someone can borrow your spellbook, cast a spell from it without scribing anything, and then give you back the spellbook?