Questions - Diaspora IV

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Re: Questions - Diaspora IV

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:01 am

One is divine will and punishment (good), the other is witchcraft (evil).
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:06 am

AP - Apiskopalny Piekielne wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:01 am
By that logic, you should have a problem with raze or mass destruction as well.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:16 am

I agree spreading disease on purpose is a part of history, I just think it is not really feasible to work it properly into the game. The vectors of disease spread were more akin to espionage than to sending a unit of quasi-infected plague-bearers to war with the intent to infect a foreign army. And we have Death Plague as a realm spell that simulates the effect of purposefully infecting an entire region of the world, if that is what you want to accomplish.

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:24 am

Ma - Mag wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:06 am
AP - Apiskopalny Piekielne wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:01 am
By that logic, you should have a problem with raze or mass destruction as well.
Correct. I don't have a problem with any though, just answering your rhetorical question. Tribalistic propaganda has been with us since pre-history. Our group does X because its necessary we are righteous, Out group doing it is wrong, and is proof of their evil nature.

If anything, I would prefer it to be a hidden mechanic if anything. It should not be a mechanic calculated or exploited, but should have a chance to bite you in the ass if you leverage the fact your armies are immune to the plague rulewise.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:33 am

I'm pretty sure the people who were tossing corpses into defenders didn't think 'we're spreading disease', they thought 'we're grossing them out/demoralizing them'. ...And yeah, besiegers tended to have comparable attrition to defenders during sieges, because while they had better access to food, they were exposed and living in even less sanitary conditions, often with even worse water supplies. The main advantage was that they could rotate out!
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:42 am

I suggested increased attrition checks on plague provinces for armies representing the risk of contracting diseases and dying. Armies are not immune to the plague, that way.

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:54 am

DM Juan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:16 am
..to sending a unit of quasi-infected plague-bearers to war with the intent to infect a foreign army..
When thinking lepers or so, such a unit could have a fear/"I-don't-want-to-fight-these-and-risk-to-get-affected" effect, but nothing more. Though such units would be complicated to train of course :)
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:58 am

You can do that but you quickly get questions when do the plague hit the troops. For example an attacker moves into the plague province and rolls attrition. Then the defender casts bless land and moves his units in and does not get attrition. We should be carefull that plague is not become something positive for the defender. The effect of plague on the province is only that you can not rule it. If you are in a war you normaly dont rule much anyway.

You could say that you get attrition when the province is occupied or before a battle. Just moving through is not enough to get attrition.

At least it should be defined clearly.

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:59 am

Ma - Mag wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:54 am
DM Juan wrote:
Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:16 am
..to sending a unit of quasi-infected plague-bearers to war with the intent to infect a foreign army..
When thinking lepers or so, such a unit could have a fear/"I-don't-want-to-fight-these-and-risk-to-get-affected" effect, but nothing more. Though such units would be complicated to train of course :)
Haha you can research a special lepers unit :D :D :D :D

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Mon Mar 15, 2021 7:59 am

Plague bearing pirates/undead would be a fun way to ramp up those events too. Undead that keep roaming spreading the plague rather than seeking to pillage. Pirates plague ships that spread disease if they make it to port, giving you reason to burn them before landfall.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan