Questions - Diaspora IV

TF - The Fortress

Re: Questions - Diaspora IV

Post by TF - The Fortress » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:39 pm

VV - Vic Vru wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:32 pm
If you are only a L5 the odds are pretty bad acctually. You would need to roll a 5 or below, with the 2d6 to survive. Even if a 6 is rolled you take 1 extra hit, thus giving you 5 hits.

You take the number rolled, subtract the EPL you have and that's the extra number of hits you get(can be negative to and you get less hits)

The % chance of rolling 5 or lower with 2d6 is 27.8%

I don't think you've been adventuring right. Ensure a steady stream of potions (+2 EPL, -4 hits, +3 treasure), proper NWPs, and stacking magic items. Throw in some good blood abilties, a stack of LTs (to get char # and char type bonuses) and go to town :)
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

RaH - Rassan al Hamam

Post by RaH - Rassan al Hamam » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

RC - Riva wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:39 pm
VV - Vic Vru wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:32 pm
If you are only a L5 the odds are pretty bad acctually. You would need to roll a 5 or below, with the 2d6 to survive. Even if a 6 is rolled you take 1 extra hit, thus giving you 5 hits.

You take the number rolled, subtract the EPL you have and that's the extra number of hits you get(can be negative to and you get less hits)

The % chance of rolling 5 or lower with 2d6 is 27.8%

I don't think you've been adventuring right. Ensure a steady stream of potions (+2 EPL, -4 hits, +3 treasure), proper NWPs, and stacking magic items. Throw in some good blood abilties, a stack of LTs (to get char # and char type bonuses) and go to town :)

I have been adventuring right. I was just trying to explain the Corben that he was wrong in his thinking. What I explained was just the mentioned situation -> He said a L5 would always survive a DC 2 adventure with a stoneskin potion.

If you have other adventurers, items etc it changes of course.

Its not explained in the rules that you can take extra hits(or less)from the d6s roll - EPL, which was basicly my point.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:47 pm

Having an impact on the battle is beside the point. And higher level characters can do higher level DCs and still make sure they have an impact while also ensuring they never die. And the low level character doing a DC: 1 Still has an impact as he can hit and soak up hits. At 0 risk of death. If your unit dies there should be a real chance of dying.

RaH - Rassan al Hamam

Post by RaH - Rassan al Hamam » Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:52 pm

Depends on how you look at it.
If you are very careful, you represent a Leader standing behind, ordering your army around not taking a lot of chances and running away as soon as the tide is turning against you.

On the other side of the coin you have a Leader waging deep into the battle and taking bigger risks, but maybe having a bigger impact.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:14 pm

You’re taking my point off on a tangent. Getting into a battle/war should bring with it the chance of death no matter what. As written though you can get into a war and if you want to you can make sure you are immune to death.

And I really don’t know why you get a charisma check if you take enough hits on a war adventure to avoid death. Maybe if you fail the adventure but survive the hits you could get captured.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:23 pm

Sure, but historically (at least as I understand it) nobles rarely died in battle. If they died on the campaign, it would be from disease or starvation. IMO, the Charisma check is being able to surrender in a timely way to avoid death, which is what nobles would normally do to avoid dying when they were beat.
Last edited by WB - Water's Blessing on Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:24 pm

I didn't have a complaint with the exploding 6s, yeah. I think it's incongruous to have regents be on the battlefield without any risk to themselves. (This is the case for adventures, too, but at least there they have the excuse that we have few rules available for resolving events without the regent being personally involved.)

(Re: The historical thing, how rare is 'rare'? It happened to both Harold and Harald in 1066... and everyone thought it happened to William too when he fell off his horse, until he proved otherwise.)
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 pm

Yeah lots of nobles got whacked and a lot were captured. But my point lies with all those who were whacked. They weren’t immune. We have plenty of chances for leaders to live. But there should be always the risk of death that you cannot manipulate your way into immunity from.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:44 pm

Though if your regent has 19 charisma, they're probably going to get assassinated, not die in battle.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:54 pm

BM - Brucal von Mauler wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:41 pm
Yeah lots of nobles got whacked and a lot were captured. But my point lies with all those who were whacked. They weren’t immune. We have plenty of chances for leaders to live. But there should be always the risk of death that you cannot manipulate your way into immunity from.
My point is that, as I understand it, very few nobles got whacked in battles. Having nobles die right and left wouldn't match what we know about how things went (at least in Europe).

That said, maybe a "no quarter" option should be possible, where you just don't take prisoners. Might make sense for a gheallie sidhe sort of squad, and might be required in other cases (say, if using undead). If fighting against someone who has declared no quarter, there's no CHA check to be captured. It's either escape or death.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."