Cultue, Traits, and Evolution

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Re: Cultue, Traits, and Evolution

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:18 am

Fulgar is Rjurik. They are not extinct unless someone sends him away or whacks him.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:19 am

Of course without magnesium I don’t see how any people are alive.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:24 am

Unless star matter can pass through the barrier that cuts us off from the rest of the universe? Which means there is a way to escape if we can advance to the point where we become beings of pure energy. Which must be why the Shadow keeps knocking us back to start civilization from scratch.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:28 am

The point is that gene selection can't do what you're imagining it can. According to Juan, if not according to those who are eager to cherry-pick what they like from what he said, there's more to it than that. I've explained mechanisms for what that can be and how that can work that make sense, and are consistent with the design intent and common sense.

Masetians haven't gone the way of the Dodo. It would be more accurate to say they've gone the way of the Neanderthals. Almost everyone here has neanderthal ancestors, but we're not neanderthals. (Mostly.) Rjurik still have descendants, too, we know this because there are PCs who are descended from those characters. It's more meaningful to say the cultures are extinct, and it's also less crazy, because at least whether a culture is 'extinct' or not is essentially subjective.

The periodic table of the elements in D&D doesn't have magnesium on it, it has fire, air, earth, and water. Cows are made of those.
Last edited by TH - The Hunt on Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:29 am

DM Juan wrote:
Thu Apr 29, 2021 3:56 pm
The Raven Queen's power is of this cycle
The Appolyon event called forth heroes and villains from prior cycles. How that occurred, is not currently known to players. Are these people actually the prior cycle summoned forth, or merely the collection of memories of those people given form... you don't know.
Fulgar could be Rjurik -- or a figment of everyone's collective imagination.

Only way to find out is for someone to recruit him and see what the kids look like.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:29 am

Being cut off from the planes isn't the same as being cut off from the universe. The universe is on the same plane, although it is, indeed, difficult to navigate, even with wax wings and giant catapults.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:37 am

Matter in an enclosed system cannot be destroyed only changed. So the matter of missing races and blasted lands is being used to create something else during each reset. Probably to create magnesium and all the pirates and undead.

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:38 am

MF - Morcuan the Fay wrote:
Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:28 am
The point is that gene selection can't do what you're imagining it can. According to Juan, but not according to those who are eager to cherry-pick what they like from what he said, there's more to it than that. I've explained mechanisms for what that can be and how that can work that make sense and are consistent with the design intent and common sense.

Masetians haven't gone the way of the Dodo. It would be more accurate to say they've got the way of the Neanderthals. Almost everyone here has neanderthal ancestors, but we're not neanderthals. (Mostly.) Rjurik still have descendants, too, we know this because there are PCs who are descended from those characters. It's more meaningful to say the cultures are extinct, and it's also less crazy, because at least whether a culture is 'extinct' or not is essentially subjective.

The periodic table of the elements in D&D doesn't have magnesium on it, it has fire, air, earth, and water. Cows are made of those.
Thank you oh great and amazing scientist Amy. Without your incredible knowledge of genetics, we'd be living in the stone-age still and not able to do half of the things we have done.

Gene selection, i.e. Darwin's Theory of Evolution, is still the preeminent piece of how creatures evolve and why genetic traits surface and promulgate through a species. Again though, without your incredibly advanced knowledge on the subject, we would all be hopelessly lost.

Masetians are extinct. Juan's statement previously. We are in a fantasy environment though where 'Gods' are created from mortals, magic is a common thing, and miracles occur more often than not. So something can be extinct and then be back (see Fulgar...or then again he could be a collective memory given form).

Anyways, no one can play a Rjurik character this game because -- wait for it -- they are EXTINCT.

Same with playing a Masetian. When I inquired about playing one in Diaspora I, I was told no because -- wait for it -- they are EXTINCT.

Same with the bird-men of Kamoshka. I know they are also extinct because one of Daene's goals was to find a way to bring their species back through a miracle via Kamoshka/Nesirie (hence why I went with empowering Kamoshka as opposed to seeking Daene to ascend).

Play whatever semantic games you want with your fluff, for all intents and purposes -- the Rjurik, the Masetians, and the Bird-Men, are all extinct.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:40 am

They live on....as Magnesium.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 30, 2021 12:41 am

Masetian...Magnesium... almost the same word. It makes sense.