Item Theft

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Item Theft

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun May 05, 2019 10:40 am

I've noticed that for most items, I'm not even slightly worried about them getting stolen. Maybe it'd be good if minor, major, and great items (and artifacts) had different DCs for item theft? To reduce overhead, the thief could just choose which level of theft they intend and then receive the items that best suit that choice.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Re: Item Theft

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Sun May 05, 2019 11:16 am

I always assumed item theft required you to target the specified item. I didn't think it was a random smash and grab. You had to know at least something about the items existence and form to be a reasonable undertaking.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

JB - Jontinius Bruin

Post by JB - Jontinius Bruin » Sun May 05, 2019 11:19 am

+1

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun May 05, 2019 11:25 am

The most important thing you need to know is the item's value, or it's a non-starter! That seems strange to me.

Wouldn't necessarily represent 'a smash and grab', though. The espionage action to acquire the item would naturally involve locating targets, spotting patrols, bribing guards and informants, casing facilities, disarming traps, and so on. It's odd if there's no way for it to result in a lesser theft of opportunity if it fails, or a greater theft if it succeeds by a large margin.

I guess if it's acquired by social engineering it'd be more straightforward. The classic 'nab his clothes while he's bathing in the middle of the wilderness' ploy.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

BS - Torpor

Post by BS - Torpor » Sun May 05, 2019 1:12 pm

Knowing about it seem to be step one.

I mean, in theory you would expect it to be harder to steal a suit of armour than a magic necklace, but that would just end up beeing horrible to administer so none of that;)

I wouldent mind if it was +2 difficulty or something per extra strength level of the item, but same worries there, more work for Juan?
Tor'por
"When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track,
With poison in my wine cup, and daggers at my back."
- Robert E. Howard