Summers

DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas

Re: Summers

Post by DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas » Mon May 13, 2019 11:34 am

Just to mentón, there are players half confused aboutd3 winters, what Will happen with a complex table? Kiss is always a good option, really
“No dimensions are closed to the ones in service of the Universal Law.”
Nur Hayati Corben-Talas

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Mon May 13, 2019 12:14 pm

Severe Winter! in a level 2 province with level 2 castle:

support 2 units? (2 prov + 2 castle) x 50%
or
can support 3 units = 2 prov x 50% + 2 for fortification
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon May 13, 2019 12:45 pm

Could there be an early summer followed by no summer? Heh.

Looks good, though it'll mean provinces will grow to high levels more slowly than with half of all summers being normal. I'm assuming mild winters still won't allow raids, just wars. Not sure about naval transportation. It seems right now, ships aren't subject to attrition rolls, though units aboard are. Instead, they're forbidden from transporting units during the winter.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Mon May 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Correct, provinces would grow slower most likely, though half of all summers would still allow rule provinces in theory, just 1 of the 6 options is at higher DC.

Yes, an early summer could also lead to a sudden change to fall... :)

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Mon May 13, 2019 1:27 pm

Just a blanket 50% I think, don't want to bog down counting what part is higher/lower.

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Mon May 13, 2019 1:37 pm

It does seem like a complexity and randomness increase. Unless there's a narrative benefit for the DM, it seems like negatives, not positives.
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Mon May 13, 2019 1:38 pm

DM Juan wrote:
Mon May 13, 2019 1:27 pm
Just a blanket 50% I think, don't want to bog down counting what part is higher/lower.
Could be a good idea to add as an effect for Plague events, especially as there does not seem to be an effect outside of a capital.
Or an alternative impact for Natural Disasters rather than being a simple GB tax everytime.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

CBC - Garand

Post by CBC - Garand » Mon May 13, 2019 2:01 pm

I don't understand any of this, so I'm just going to duck my head under the sand and wait it out. :P
Kaigan: Before the ancient flame..
"We grieve."
Kaigan: At this loss..
"We weep."
Kaigan: For the fallen..
"We shout."
Kaigan: And for ourselves..
"We take our leave."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Mon May 13, 2019 2:02 pm

Well, there is actually a benefit to reducing the # summers, though. Or at least, reducing Summers that allow Rule Province. Keeping lower province levels feels more "frost-tundra" but also... reducing total province levels causes more inter-party conflict for growth, rather than everyone able to grow forever without ever getting into conflict.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon May 13, 2019 2:03 pm

I don't know about the complexity, but I think the randomness is great. More randomness means a smaller gap between hardcore and casual players, which is good for game balance... and it also means the skills used in game, and the stories that result, are more like those from the real world.

Oh, risk also encourages more conservative play styles. Judging from my experience with these games, that's extremely important. The biggest threat to the verisimilitude of Birthright games is that players tend to be far more aggressive than people in positions of power from real life.
Last edited by TH - The Hunt on Mon May 13, 2019 2:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."