Domain Failures

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Domain Failures

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:34 pm

No, not that. If the loser wasn't invested, they'd be more likely to roll over and quit, not less. Having little to lose reduces the opportunity cost of starting over somewhere else, too.

But it could be because the players want blood, not peace. There's not much to discourage that unless the alignment infraction penalty comes into effect.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:35 pm

Takes two sides to come to a peace. One side alone isn't enough.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:36 pm

Pretty sure no alignment infractions occurred during the filming of this war.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Only the DM can decide that. I'd be a bit puzzled by a good regent deciding it was more important to fight a war than to prevent their own lands falling to ruin, and I'd find it implausible for a lawful regent to prioritize exterminating an enemy over conquering them when given the choice, but of course there's always arguments to be made.

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:48 pm

That is easy to say if you are fighting a 1-1 war. But in this situation you have a duchy that is beeing attacked. If you leave the duchy you get a major blood loss and if you stay occupied you get a major blood loss. In this situation the vovs to stay together to the end trumped the devide and conquer attempts.

RaH - Rassan al Hamam

Post by RaH - Rassan al Hamam » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:51 pm

AF - Areida Faderan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:38 pm
Only the DM can decide that. I'd be a bit puzzled by a good regent deciding it was more important to fight a war than to prevent their own lands falling to ruin, and I'd find it implausible for a lawful regent to prioritize exterminating an enemy over conquering them when given the choice, but of course there's always arguments to be made.

Yea be ruled by a regent who hates your race and every other non human race and who goes to war with a phony reason because he/she was not chosen/accepted as Ruler.
As you said there are always arguments to be made, in this case I haven't gotten even a single message/request from that Regent. Only the Decree made which could obviously not be taken seriously.

Oh and I forgot to mention that regent obviously planned that betrayal.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:54 pm

Definitely reflects real life in that respect. In that both sides may have an ironclad reason to destroy each other... because they can't communicate.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:00 pm

DM - Dolothar Mithrilhand wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:51 pm
AF - Areida Faderan wrote:
Fri Jul 26, 2019 12:38 pm

Yea be ruled by a regent who hates your race and every other non human race and who goes to war with a phony reason because he/she was not chosen/accepted as Ruler.
As you said there are always arguments to be made, in this case I haven't gotten even a single message/request from that Regent. Only the Decree made which could obviously not be taken seriously.

Oh and I forgot to mention that regent obviously planned that betrayal.
You are making OOC speculations about IC events, as if they were facts. Please stop arguing about IC politics in an OOC context.

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Fri Jul 26, 2019 1:53 pm

In my opinion there shouldn't be blood loss for loosing a holding. You don't get blood from building or capturing... Maybe if you should forfeit the blood gained from completing a major objective.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Jul 26, 2019 2:03 pm

0 levels shouldn't cause blood loss they do not require RP to make and they provide no RP. There should be a more detailed scale for loss though. Losing 1 or 2 levels should maybe only be RP loss (unless you don't have enough then it goes to blood) with it scaling on up into actual blood loss and more severe depending on how many levels of holdings you lose.

Could just set an RP price per holding level lost and take away from RP bank first and then when that is depleted go after blood points. Maybe 10 RP per holding level lost and each blood point counts toward 10 RP of loss? Gives some protection so everyone isn't getting hammered by losses anytime there is a holding destroyed or taken.

So say someone has 35 RP and they lose 4 holding levels they lose 30 RP and 1 blood point?