Realm Magic at Sea?

DM Juan
Site Admin

Realm Magic at Sea?

Post by DM Juan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:50 pm

The basic question is, should we allow leyline to sea zones to cast realm spells at sea?
eg: Leyline + Defect Ships, Mass Destruct Ships, Ward the sea zone to disrupt ship movement... etc

MS - Meaghan Smith

Re: Realm Magic at Sea?

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:51 pm

I'd say no. I asked repeatedly to allow such and to develop such -- was told no. Shouldn't change two turns later.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Aug 06, 2019 1:56 pm

I don't think so, either. If someone wants to cast realm magic on a naval battle, they should do it when ships are in the province('s coastal waters), and figure out how to ensure the battle occurs there. Even just creating a leyline across the sea should be difficult.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:00 pm

It would be nice to have a counter for complete naval dominance. Though I imagine it would disappointing to have the effort and investment in a navy to be so easily torn down.

Allow it with an increased costs to cast
Normal cost for Water/weather/travellers domained priesthoods or portfolia the sea
Perhaps allow for naval versions of spells to be researched by Wizards.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas

Post by DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:05 pm

I would say no, leyline crossing sea?. Fine. But supossedly a leyline should cross land, not water, and as cant be made sources in a sea, it would not be okey trace a leyline there, even if breaks apart after. Only if we allow submarine cities of sea elves or similar, would have a reason. And for priestly magick is even harder, as no leylines exiss. Dont see it, really.
“No dimensions are closed to the ones in service of the Universal Law.”
Nur Hayati Corben-Talas

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:15 pm

I tend to lean towards no, as well. But it has been requested a number of times, and I keep saying no, so figured I'd bring it up in a general forum...

There is a possible solution to "complete dominance" ... you'd still need to build up a navy, but at least it allows potential to do so.

1) You cannot attack ships in ports, full stop, unless you occupy the province and force them to go out to sea.
2) You can, but the minute you do that, you are opening your ships to any realm magic that could hit the province.

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:33 pm

I like option 2 -- with a caveat. Ships hiding in port aren't usable for trade or any troop movements and such. I.E. if they are using the port for protection they aren't able to engage in other activities.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Aug 06, 2019 2:47 pm

You would be targeting ships doing something in your example. So if they are moving units from A->B they obviously entered a sea zone, where if you had ships ready to attack in, they could try to engage (with declare wars, etc). Trade Routes have a mechanism for being Raided. I imagine you could use a declare war action to try to sink trade ships as well, sure.

BS - Torpor

Post by BS - Torpor » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:06 pm

Outside a coastline while they are attempting to land troops in a province would be ok for me. Otherwise not, unless htere is some sort of special circumstance

Like the living source Arndir ershegh of last game for example;)

And yes, if ships hit port they should be vulnerable to both realm magic and land troops imho.
Tor'por
"When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track,
With poison in my wine cup, and daggers at my back."
- Robert E. Howard

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Aug 06, 2019 3:28 pm

It makes sense that a Warding spell (or anything else) targeting a province will include the ships there. It's not possible to move ships into a warded province already, so why would ships there count as outside the ward? Ships would still be able to move upriver past a warded province, so long as they can stick to the other shore. If both shores are warded, tough luck.

Realm spells take a long time to cast, so it shouldn't be possible to cast one as a contingency. It would be necessary to know enemies are coming to the province (including ships passing up the river) in order to cast the spell.

I don't think ships in a province should be vulnerable to troops on land, that wouldn't make sense. A ship being in a province represents it being within a few miles of shore, not within a few hundred yards, much less a few feet. Similarly I don't think ships in a province should be prohibited from use for trade or anything else, so long as they can still leave.

Ships also can't move upriver past a fortified province, the same way armies can't. So if there's fortifications on both sides of the river, they'd have to be seized, first, before a hostile fleet could try and go smash ships beyond them.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."