Dispel Realm Magic

RaH - Rassan al Hamam

Re: Dispel Realm Magic

Post by RaH - Rassan al Hamam » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:29 am

What Priests acctually have the Spell Protection from Realm Magic?

Can't find any God that acctually has it.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:43 am

None have Protection from Realm Magic. Only four have Dispel Realm Magic (Architect, Arawn, Forester, Nesirie). Basically, priest spells are a lot more limited and (in general) less effective than mage spells, which is balanced out by their holding type generating revenues as well as empowering magic.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

RaH - Rassan al Hamam

Post by RaH - Rassan al Hamam » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:48 am

But whats the Point of having it in the list if no one can use it?

Or could a Priest teoretically research it?

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sun Oct 06, 2019 11:51 am

It is on the list because a) there may be unknown deities in the current game that grant the spell and b) future games (inshallah) may include deities who do offer the spell, and the rules set generally carries over from iteration to iteration. Priests cannot research or expand their realm spell lists, though. Only mages can do that.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:22 pm

Correct. There could also be events in game that expand divine-spell access, as well.

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:24 pm

DM Juan wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:22 pm
Correct. There could also be events in game that expand divine-spell access, as well.
Sign me up! Please and thank you!
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:44 pm

I have always felt that WotC acquisition of TSR stunted the development of Birthright. I got my book of priest craft after the product line was shutdown. There are hundreds of character level spells, but only a few domain spells. The books talk about ways to make domain spells based on character level spells. The lists were cut short because of production choices at Wotc, not because of game balancing or design. Priests should be able to expand on their spells based on the gods and their domains.

Priests with healing should be able to heal units.
Priests with bless/aid/prayer should be able to bless armies.
Mages that can summon an elemental should be able to make elemental units
Priests that worship a water god should be able to bless ships or make water units
Priest that worship an elemental god should be able to summon an elemental unit.
I could go on..

The problem with expanding all this is you start to make the game more complex and the DM's life hell.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:51 pm

I think the Old Spirited Way had it. At least it had the sphere. Not sure if anyone still practices that, or if it's even possible.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:08 pm

CA - Clay Atorin wrote:
Sun Oct 06, 2019 1:44 pm
I have always felt that WotC acquisition of TSR stunted the development of Birthright. I got my book of priest craft after the product line was shutdown. There are hundreds of character level spells, but only a few domain spells. The books talk about ways to make domain spells based on character level spells. The lists were cut short because of production choices at Wotc, not because of game balancing or design. Priests should be able to expand on their spells based on the gods and their domains.

Priests with healing should be able to heal units.
Priests with bless/aid/prayer should be able to bless armies.
Mages that can summon an elemental should be able to make elemental units
Priests that worship a water god should be able to bless ships or make water units
Priest that worship an elemental god should be able to summon an elemental unit.
I could go on..

The problem with expanding all this is you start to make the game more complex and the DM's life hell.
They can do all those things. They just did them through the auspices of Battle Magic, which we dropped. In theory, one way to expand the available realm spell list would be to convert battle magic into realm spells (like "Turn Undead Unit", for example -- were that an option for the Architect, I would have taken that in a heartbeat).

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Sun Oct 06, 2019 2:36 pm

RE: Battle Magic, the interesting thing is Mages kind of have a form of battle magic with the destruction and defection spells.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."