Currently, it says

Prov Requirements:
Caravel 3
Heavy Caravel 4
Elite Caravel 5
Superior Caravel 6

Galleon 6

--------
It actually didn't specify at all before, and therefore theoretically all Caravel+ ships could be built at prov 3 -- this doesn't work. Superior Caravels are basically/nearly Galleons.

So either above, or down 1 step:

Caravel + Heavy @ 3, Elite 4, Superior 5, Galleon 5 or 6

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Ships/Prov Requirements

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:14 pm

My suggestion's a formula, ship cost divided by two rounded up equals the province+shipyard level requirement to build it there.

So, ships that cost 1-2 GB (like coasters) would be built with a province 1, 3-4 (like longships) with a province 2, 5-6 (like cogs, dhouras, caravels, and knarrs) in a province 3, and more advanced ships, a province 4, 5, or even 6 (for galleons and roundships, or other 11 GB vessels).
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:15 pm

I like above

Prov Requirements:
Caravel 3 (Province 2 + Shipyard I -- or Province 3)
Heavy Caravel 4 (Province 2 + Shipyard II -- or Province 3 + Shipyard I -- or Province 4)
Elite Caravel 5 (Province 3 + Shipyard II -- Province 4 + Shipyard I -- or Province 5)
Superior Caravel 6 (Province 3 + Shipyard III -- Province 4 + Shipyard II -- or Province 5 + Shipyard I -- or Province 6)

Galleon 6 (Province 3 + Shipyard III -- Province 4 + Shipyard II -- or Province 5 + Shipyard I -- or Province 6)
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

BB - Bronzebeard

Post by BB - Bronzebeard » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:44 pm

With the slow speed of province growth, I like the down 1 step:

Caravel + Heavy @ 3, Elite 4, Superior 5, Galleon 5 or 6
Brom Bronzebeard

The Wizard Under the Mountain

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Oct 26, 2019 6:51 pm

Level 3 provinces are common as it is, and they can have a Shipyard III, though. For less than the cost of three galleons. So even a province 6 requirement is not much of a restriction on ship-building in the medium-term.

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:42 pm

Ah, but how many people have shipyards as their second building choice....

Much more select group now and keeps it reasonably focused to a few naval folks.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Oct 26, 2019 7:56 pm

Mm. Caravels can do everything galleons can do, just not necessarily as efficiently. So it'd only be a problem if they couldn't be built, it's not so much of a problem if not everyone can build them. They may even be useless. Eleven realms don't have direct access to the great sea. If you have to use a river to get there, you need to build ships with a requirement of 4 or lower.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 9:16 am

I agree for future iterations, longships should be easier to build, or a fraction analysis of the build cost would work better. I think as it stands, stretching out the caravel/dhoura types over a few prov levels makes the most sense.

The question comes between slowing down the requirements slightly (so Prov 3 can build Heavy/Quick versions, or do we stick with Prov 4 required)
The latter option certainly pushes Shipyard value. I think... slowing down is better. "Gunpowder based Tech Ships" would apply on the Superior Caravel/Dhoura/Cog chassis, and could require a province 6 equivalent like the Galleon does.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:22 am

If handguns exist, then cannons already exist. Firearms, after all, are just miniaturised cannons. I would assume that gunpowder is already baked in to ranged attacks for ships and artillery.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Mon Oct 28, 2019 10:36 am

True, crude cannons would exist. Mostly, I am looking at it as upgrades to existing things via tech.