Raid Action

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Raid Action

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:13 am

I think that would make the building too powerful, no matter how much it cost. Plus, it doesn't make sense. Garrisons, fortifications, and watchtowers can deter raids already by making them fail or be break-even prospect at best.

It's already possible to engage the raiders in battle by spending an action to do so.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:23 am

Oh if you can spend an action to engage the raiders and have the possibility of wiping out the raiding party then there's nothing to change. As long as that action isn't a declaration of open war. We want to keep it where it doesn't start a war and is just kept at skirmish level.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:30 am

Yeah. The Declare War action can be 'flavoured' as just chasing the raiders back where they came from, to 'discipline' them. The same way it can be flavoured as a surprise attack without a formal declaration of war. What happens next is still up to everyone involved... (And it's worth noting this is still an escalation, even if it's limited to pursuing the raiders.)

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:32 am

Raiding will be limited to resource-raids is my current thoughts. It more accurately captures what a raid should be, and also makes it less 'broken.'

HBH - Bloodmage

Post by HBH - Bloodmage » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:43 am

GLV - Gaius Lucius Vorenus wrote:
Fri Jun 05, 2020 11:23 am
We want to keep it where it doesn't start a war and is just kept at skirmish level.
This is comical to me, everyone who is raided feels the need to respond, ultimately with force. I have some experience in these matters of late. And I get it, a fly keeps biting you, you only shoe it away so many times.
Bloodmage

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Jun 06, 2020 11:51 am

Paying tribute to stop the raids saves both sides time and money. But it also stops the war from happening.

It seems like raiding for resources will be very rare... It's happened maybe once or twice in this game.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:02 pm

Oh... We could also make limited wars (and 'raids' using the Declare War action) more possible by enforcing delays and costs on naval transportation (making it take 1 WM to board the ships, another to move them, another to move off them into the target province, and cost 1 GB for each unit to board) and by allowing more war moves to be undertaken without spending a whole action to occupy a target province. Wars would involve more strategic movement and positions, less slamming all the chips in at once.

TPK - The Pirates

Post by TPK - The Pirates » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:11 pm

Units I've used with naval campaigns (this game and last at the very least) did and do use a WM to load.

There is also a cost to move troops via ships which has been applied to each.

The movement by sea has cost a war move (unless it was to cross a river or go further than the ships single war move reach).

The troops typically land in a province, and if defensive movement (ie shoring up a province under attack) that landing constitutes a war move. If landing in a province being invaded the landing is conjoined with the war move to attack.

CIC - Duke Cicero

Post by CIC - Duke Cicero » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:27 pm

I'm not interested in starting an OOC discussion of IC things, but just from a perspective of "how did raid function in relation to war"

Early game, when treasuries were small and loyalty hits likely, it seemed to be used as a tool of war. Later, when losing a few GB here and there was less deadly but still troublesome, it was definitely an act of aggression but didn't immediately start a full blown war and was treated differently than an occupation would have been.
Duke Cicero
Mayor of Salviene

A man so deep, he's almost unfathomable!
A man so quick, he's even fast asleep!

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sat Jun 06, 2020 12:29 pm

DM Juan wrote:
Sat Jun 06, 2020 9:32 am
Raiding will be limited to resource-raids is my current thoughts. It more accurately captures what a raid should be, and also makes it less 'broken.'
I think maybe that and raiding trade routes -- you can raid provinces and cart off resources, or you can hit trade routes for gold (which kills the route)? It would make maintaining trade routes a little harder, which wouldn't be a bad thing.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."