Player Race Balancing

SG - Sigrun Godefroy

Re: Player Race Balancing

Post by SG - Sigrun Godefroy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:30 pm

So, a proposal that might make thigns really competative would be a food cost for units, which would make grain provinces and sea fishing rights very competative
Sigrun Godefroy warrior of Hircine

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:47 pm

That sounds like a step toward breaking down the GB abstraction into something like those games, where there's gold, wood, food, stone, and iron recorded separately and spent to build particular structures or units. I don't know. The game assumes there's trade going on in the background all the time to make sure realms with food get the weapons they need and vice-versa, with players' income representing their ability to make favourable trades, skim something off the top, and yes, also reduce the amount that gets wasted by inefficiencies or taken by thieves, bandits, independent merchants and hoarders.

A player running out of GB represents running out of food, as well as anything they could trade for food, as well as their (in-realm) lines of credit, goodwill with lenders, volunteer laborers, and warriors and nobles who are willing to finance their own equipment and campaigns (for glory or family or whatever). A realm that runs out of GB is one that's exhausted its options without getting aid from other regents. I don't think we need to break it up like that.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

SG - Sigrun Godefroy

Post by SG - Sigrun Godefroy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:52 pm

that's fair, though having grainery's store food and having lands that produce food will give people something to actively compete over instead of "just add another province to the collection" a province should be able to produce as many troops as the province level with out cost, where as fortresses and what not could store food for a siege making the province take longer to take but you can just sit and starve out the enemy as well.

we already have grain as a resource for making cities, it's a thought that could use some work but i think there's potential for it.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:19 pm

Having provinces provide 'free' maintenance for a limited number of units that require the resources of those provinces would help make less militant realms more competitive... assuming they were still able to train the units... while giving everyone an incentive to control those provinces. But that sounds like a lot of bookkeeping.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:24 pm

Maybe a number of home guard units that spring up depending on level of province. Or instead of levying a province and getting levies you get x times province level in Tier levels of units. These units cannot be used for anything but the defense of the province. It would slow down aggressives a bit at least.

SG - Sigrun Godefroy

Post by SG - Sigrun Godefroy » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:29 pm

ya the home gaurd idea was what i was going for

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:41 pm

Olavik in the post taelshore game, researched the Mhoried realm ability. Any levies that were levied (not mustered) counted as irregulars.

It represented the independent, and frontier warrior spirit of the realm.
Last edited by YK - Yuri Khavlor on Sat Jul 04, 2020 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:46 pm

Hmm. I'm gonna need that for this game.

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Sat Jul 04, 2020 2:55 pm

What if we allowed dual class and coded it this way...

Class: FormerFtr/Thief

Uses thief XP table
Collects RP from Law, Guilds, Province.

All dual classing shennanigans handled at the character level, but as far as I know, birmail was always the holdup.

So, one new custom class per dual class.

If you also apply racial level limits, I think you can do away with the whole "Humans need game mechanics to favor them because they suck compared to dwarves/elves" thing. Level limits were rather significant, and for class/race combinations that aren't actually "legal", the limit should be quite low.

Goblins are in the complete book of humanoids, max level Fighter 10, Cleric 9, Thief 12.
No bards, wizards, paladins or rangers. Of course our goblins are kind of a corrupted sidhe, maybe that shouldn't apply. Gnolls were Fighter 11, Cleric 9, Thief 11. In the whole "Any Race Any Class" world so many of are used to now, maybe a limit of 5 on prohibited classes is reasonable.
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:04 pm

The form of corruption that the goblins experienced removed everything that made them Sidhelien and made them more like the mortal races, so it makes sense they'd lose the ability to use true magic without a bloodline. Goblin magicians make more sense to me, seems like those would be their favourite spells and ways of using them anyway. (Maybe they could even be the only race that commonly has magician regents...)

Half-goblin rangers and bards still make sense, though. I think it's best if we still with non-human paladins being fighter/priest demipaladins. I mean, I'm playing one right now, and at least that part was fun.

These level limits don't seem to matter, I never would have reached them unless I was playing a full ogre.