Player Race Balancing

TPK - The Pirates

Re: Player Race Balancing

Post by TPK - The Pirates » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:13 pm

Code should reflect no XP if any old class ability is utilized until level equals/exceeds original. I.e. prefer/now thief would not get RP generation from law until thief level equals/exceeds original fighter level.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:15 pm

I think dual-classing would be too common (and used badly) if it was a way to get RP income from two sources while still advancing in a single class the character didn't start with.

Maybe it could give the option to change your class building choices if you haven't built them yet. But it's still a once-in-a-lifetime thing.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:20 pm

It would let humans do what demihumans do, but with very steep ability requirements(Think it was a 15 in old prime req, and a 17 in new prime req)
AF - Areida Faderan wrote:
Sat Jul 04, 2020 3:04 pm
These level limits don't seem to matter, I never would have reached them unless I was playing a full ogre.
The actual birthright limits for normal races were relatively high, but halflings had a limit of level 8 as priest. Dwarf was level 8 as a thief, and of course, no levels allowed in wizard. Also, only Anuireans and Khinasi could be paladins. I'm not sure how they allowed that Vos paladin in the sourcebook.

If the plan is to go to level 16, only a few non-human combos can get there. But you're right, generally its not much of an issue, but it is a little bit.
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:20 pm

This has more to do with niche protection and thematics than balance, but I think Sidhelien and Karamhul should have -1 MPL in every terrain other than heavy forest and high mountains (respectively) and +2 in those (only). No adjustments to the others. I'd also remove their need for grain and granaries to support high province levels. (They could use the resource extraction building, or in the case of Sidhelien, source level requirement, instead.) The steep rule DCs seem limiting enough, and it's weird for either of them to need imported food to survive.

This would make a clear divide between the long-lived races and others in terms of tall vs. wide playstyle. Sidhelien and Karamhul would be strongly discouraged from trying to go 'wide', outside their favoured terrain, which seems lore appropriate. On the other hand, they wouldn't have the barriers everyone else does to going 'tall', either; they'd just have to work hard at rule province actions, and if left alone could build some truly legendary settlements. Meanwhile, the other races would be looking to expand their reach, and make connections, instead.

(Note that if their province level of 8 required a source potential of 8 (7 if landlocked), max level Sidhelien provinces would not be able to compromise on having temples--any temple above level 0 would have to be removed to prevent a drop in province level.)

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:58 pm

Dual-class doesn't work. There is a flag for it, but it doesn't do anything. It treats you as multiclass, and you gain XP in both classes going forwawrd.

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Sun Jul 05, 2020 9:30 pm

If people really want to run a human domain and be multi class... Easy enough to play a half elf... Just deal with the -1... As I stated elsewhere, Clay was basically a multi class human...
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:02 am

DM Juan wrote:
Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:58 pm
Dual-class doesn't work. There is a flag for it, but it doesn't do anything. It treats you as multiclass, and you gain XP in both classes going forwawrd.
I was saying, create new classes

frmFTR/curWiz functions like wiz in every way, but also gets RP from law
frmCLR/curGui functions like guilder in every way, but also gets RP from temples.

So, you're a single class char as far as birmail is concerned, using that curXXX xp chart, but you get the RP from old class, which is all birMail needs to do for you.

In game, you're subject to normal rules. frmFTR 7/curWiz 2 on a main adventure, 0XP if you use a sword.
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

TPK - The Pirates

Post by TPK - The Pirates » Mon Jul 06, 2020 9:58 am

Should be 0 RP from old class as well until exceed original level; or gains no XP in new class that turn.
Last edited by TPK - The Pirates on Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:03 am

Why not gain RP as per the new class?

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Mon Jul 06, 2020 10:10 am

Never gonna be dual class. Would end any other races being played. Juan is hiding until time goes by and people forget this discussion took place. :D