Class Balancing

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Re: Class Balancing

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Sat Jun 20, 2020 8:00 am

No they need wood. They have grain substitute though.

I think they should maybe have forest and plains swapped for terrain modifiers.

Much more shade.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

SG - Sigrun Godefroy

Post by SG - Sigrun Godefroy » Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:23 am

I just built a base wizard cause i got no idea whats happening
Sigrun Godefroy warrior of Hircine

HBH - Bloodmage

Post by HBH - Bloodmage » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:00 am

IT - Inari Tali-Ilhanta wrote:
Sun Jun 21, 2020 9:23 am
I just built a base wizard cause i got no idea whats happening
I took this approach and built a straight fighter. Glad I’m not the only one that has not dove into the rules so deep!! But I can attest to the fact that my character is basically junk without the province.
Bloodmage

CSF - Flint

Post by CSF - Flint » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:25 am

No way! Now that you dont have a province you can be placed off the map and harass/buildup without fear of retaliation. Escalate every single random event, and time your attacks for unseelie invasions without ever having to be afraid of any repercussions!
Captain Shanol Flint

HBH - Bloodmage

Post by HBH - Bloodmage » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:28 am

Then perhaps my lack of understanding of the rules is my hindrance. How do I muster or train troops with no land? Where does this army winter in a land of many winter's. If I continue to cause chaos no one will allow my armies shelter.
Bloodmage

TPK - The Pirates

Post by TPK - The Pirates » Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:46 am

TA - Niall Cole wrote:
Mon Jun 22, 2020 9:25 am
No way! Now that you dont have a province you can be placed off the map and harass/buildup without fear of retaliation. Escalate every single random event, and time your attacks for unseelie invasions without ever having to be afraid of any repercussions!
Just because they've lost their province does not mean they are immune to retribution. This is where espionage actions come into play, primarily theft (to keep their resources reduced), sabotage (to destroy units/ships as built), and assassination (to remove troublesome regents and LTs).

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Jun 22, 2020 10:47 am

Having to do all that work sounds like a serious repercussion to me. It's way more convenient to just collect rent and taxes.

To answer the question, you need holdings or training grounds to train troops. If you don't have those in someone else's province, there's just no way.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

HaQ - Hakim al-Qadr

Post by HaQ - Hakim al-Qadr » Mon Jun 22, 2020 6:52 pm

Landed Guilder (or Fighter/Thief) > Unlanded Thief/Priest > Unlanded Priest or Guilder > Landed Wizard > Landed Priest > Landed Paladin/Ranger > Landed Fighter > Unlanded Wizard > Unlanded Fighter/Ranger/Paladin

My totally fair assessment of game mechanics on what is worth playing in our start from scratch/near nothing games. Thieves have set up cost (creating those trade routes) - but no long term action drain and make significantly more gold than fighters. And the small difference between in WP is actually missing the point. You have a Fighter LT who can do much of your training anyway. Regent (single class)-Warriors are pretty trash. Wizards are very good early and then become kind of meaningless later but if they are landed at least there is no significant action-drain to being a wizard. Their spells don't scale very well in larger games except Gold Rush becoming a really good spell. And Priests can generally dispel their effects - Priests are better. Priests have significant action-cost to be efficient. Eg. Bless Land / Rule Province / Maintain Armies. It is detrimental to efficient priesting to rule provinces (you cannot Population Growth as efficiently).

I will say that if your overarching goal is a large bloodline and to ignore a lot of the game interactions and do mostly adventuring a Landed-Wizard is really good. Get yourself a Lab - and sources are the best (and earliest) way to maximise RP income.
Turn to Avani before you return to Avani
Hakim al-Qadr
Mayor of Barniere

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:07 pm

I agree with everything the Exalted Voice said.

Although it was a single class fighter who won the game in one round.... OF course that wasn't really anything to do with his class.

CSF - Flint

Post by CSF - Flint » Mon Jun 22, 2020 7:47 pm

Was there a campaign with a win condition?
Captain Shanol Flint