Monolith

MaH - Meganno al Hamam

Monolith

Post by MaH - Meganno al Hamam » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:24 am

Hi guys,

here a diskussion about the reason of a monolith and a rule change proposel:
I guess so. It doesnt say it is an action at all. Just you get one from your capital.

On Sat, Feb 8, 2020, 7:01 AM A. Jamke, <Micael.Elandi@web.de> wrote:

I would formulate the rules different then, if I were you-this interpretation is completely something else then is written in the rules. The formular should be similar as cathedrals using the world "action" also. Here what is written:

Monolith I/II/III/IV/V
Cost: 10 GB/levell
Benefit: Counts as a Palace of the same level. Get 1 Free Leyline from your capital to another source per level of Monolith.

Gesendet: Freitag, 07. Februar 2020 um 16:37 Uhr
Von: "Juan F" <isaelie@gmail.com>
An: "A. Jamke" <Micael.Elandi@web.de>
Betreff: Re: Re: Monolith
No. Each level allows 1 free leyline create action, once. And counts as a palace level.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020, 8:04 AM A. Jamke, <Micael.Elandi@web.de> wrote:

ok, that means, if I have a monolith 3, I can do 3 free actions per round forging ley 3 lines per turn? Or what advantages have a higher monolith?

Thanks Andre

Gesendet: Freitag, 07. Februar 2020 um 15:11 Uhr
Von: "Juan F" <isaelie@gmail.com>
An: "A. Jamke" <Micael.Elandi@web.de>
Betreff: Re: Monolith
Free Action to forge. Still has cost by distance, and DC. Dropping the Free Action Leyline to forge a different one seems abusive. If it overdone, I will ban it.

On Fri, Feb 7, 2020, 6:51 AM A. Jamke, <Micael.Elandi@web.de> wrote:

Hi Juan,

since Leylines have no maintance cost, what means a free Ley line inregards to a monolith in particular? Free forging without cost 2/turn, automatic success?
Since dropping a ley line is free, can you forge every turn ley lines free to other provinces?

Thanks for your info

SG - Sigrun Godefroy

Re: Monolith

Post by SG - Sigrun Godefroy » Sun Jul 05, 2020 7:37 am

i had a level three monolith, never used it, only had some ley lines, i don't think it's worth it
Sigrun Godefroy warrior of Hircine

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:06 pm

Hmm, I assumed the way it worked was that when the new level of the building was completed, a leyline automatically appeared connecting your capital's source to any other source you possessed (builder's choice). I'd assume to keep it from being wasted, you'd automatically get a new one (in a different province) if one of your sources was destroyed, you disbanded it, the leyline was destroyed, or you got a new source, if you had fewer sources than monolith building levels.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

TPK - The Pirates

Post by TPK - The Pirates » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:11 pm

That was my understanding of the monolith as well. Basically a palace that gives you some ley lines for free.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:19 pm

So say you have a Monolith level 3 in your capital with a source 5. Then you have level 1 or 0 sources everywhere. All you have to do when you want to cast a spell requiring a level 5 source anywhere you have any source is to drop the leyline from wherever it currently is and "freely" send the freed up leyline to whatever province you need to cast. This means you don't need to ever forge a leyline and you don't really have to ever rule your other sources up if you don't want to and still be able to project source 5 power in a lot of provinces.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:23 pm

But you wouldn't be able to change where it goes for free. You'd have to disband a source, destroy a ley line (the free ones can't be disbanded, if any can), or ask someone else to destroy your source for you(?!) if you wanted to get a new free ley line, all of which would cost an action (for somebody, at least). You might as well just create a new leyline normally, and keep both.

TPK - The Pirates

Post by TPK - The Pirates » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:29 pm

You can disband a ley line or source as a free action just like any other holding.

The Monolith only gives the free ley line creation when the Monolith level is added. Once it is established you would need to use an action to create a ley line (or hookup) to a different location.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:33 pm

That's a bit silly. A one-time free leyline is not worth 4 GB and a class building pick... plus, this would be the only case of a building giving a one-time benefit. The Monolith makes more sense if it generates and maintains free ley lines equal to its level at all times, though it shouldn't be possible to shift them around at no cost.
Last edited by TH - The Hunt on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:34 pm

Is it a fact you have to disband a source to get rid of a leyline?
Is it a fact you have to destroy a source to get rid of a leyline?
Is it a fact you dissipate one of your free monolith leyliens that you cannot freely send another one out?

Monolith says you get 1 free leyline per monolith level. In the past we have been able to drop leylines. This doesnt destroy the source it was connected to.

Monolith I/II/III/IV/V
Cost: 10 GB/levell
Benefit: Counts as a Palace of the same level. Get 1 Free Leyline from your capital to another source per level of Monolith.

Says nothing but that you get one free leyline per level.

Doesn't say if you have to pay for the leyline or for the distance just says free. That is what needs to be clarified. As written you can just drop leylines that you sent out from the monolith from somewhere you don't need it and send that leyline to wherever it is needed. And worse....if the ability to send in a one turn unsupported leyline anywhere is still a thing then you really only need one high source in your capital and you can send out a leyline anywhere on the map as needed and cast any spells requiring source 5 or less. You can drop and resend them anywhere you need.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:39 pm

Yeah, I hadn't considered that this would let you drop a nearby source to get a free leyline all the way across the map. I guess I don't like the 'free leyline' use of the building at all.

Maybe each level of Monolith could give a free realm spell (as if it had been researched), and allow that spell to be cast, in the capital province, as a free action (at normal cost, and with the normal requirements) once every time a particular season comes around. A level 4 monolith would be able to cast a free spell once every season, a level 5 monolith would have an additional spell that could be cast during any season in place of one of the others (but only once per cycle).

Astrology gives a Monolith discount and Stonehenge was supposedly used as a calendar, right..?
Last edited by TH - The Hunt on Sun Jul 05, 2020 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.