Hiring adventurers

CBC - Garand

Hiring adventurers

Post by CBC - Garand » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:33 pm

New guy here.

The hiring lieutenant action seems like a waste of a full action after your 1st lieutenant - under normal circumstances.
Like - yes I need an adventuring buddy, or a handy person to do X or Y - but the action results in a random class of npc, and you can only get one.

Could we consider maybe a tavern like structure that could be built to recruit an adventuring party for a single adventure or series of quests?

Maybe the hosting realm gets a small amount of resources if other regents travel from afar to recruit brave adventurers, otherwise it just allows local regents to spend/bid money/rp to get 1 or more adventurers up to the tavern level of a character level 1 or higher up to the regents level.

Or maybe create a stable of adventurers that can be rented out to regents or lieutenants to quest with them. A number of random classed characters based on tavern level - adventurers that gain levels from adventures, but can die - dead adventurers get replaced with a level 1 random character class.

Adventurers would only be available for adventure actions, and would have a negotiated cost. Treated similar to potions?

Maybe have "special" or "unique" characters that can be recruited at certain building levels, or if certain resources are available in province, or if additional buildings are constructed. - providing specific adventure bonuses - ie Pirate Petey has washed up at "The Deadman's Drink" - adds +1 EPL to naval adventures and +1 treasure finding, when assigned to a party.
Kaigan: Before the ancient flame..
"We grieve."
Kaigan: At this loss..
"We weep."
Kaigan: For the fallen..
"We shout."
Kaigan: And for ourselves..
"We take our leave."

RaH - Rassan al Hamam

Re: Hiring adventurers

Post by RaH - Rassan al Hamam » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:40 pm

You can have more LTs, depending on your charisma and potential blood abilities.

Charisma Score: # of Lieutenants[/td]
1-8 : 1
9-12 : 2
13-15 : 3
16-17 : 4
18+ : 5

LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell

Post by LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:40 pm

Also, academy means you can choose wich class(within limits) and also get them somewhat leveled.

Academy I/II/III/IV/V
Cost: 10 GB/level
Note: Priest, plus 1 Class choice at each of Academy I, III, and V

Benefit: Recruiting a lieutenant of available class type will start at the Academy level+1, rather then level 1. You may offer other people to recruit lieutenants from your academy if you want. Your kids can attend an Academy from age 15-20 [human standard]. If you they do so, they can be recruited at the end at Academy level+1. Each Academy can train Priests, plus 1 additional class at level 1, 3, 5.

The Academy provides +1 to research/level.
Lord Mayor Cowell VI

TPK - The Pirates

Post by TPK - The Pirates » Sat Aug 22, 2020 5:44 pm

Building out a well-rounded LT group is key to success for most randoms (particularly early game). This also gives you more opportunities to have pertinent skills for various actions you may seek to have your LT execute in any given turn.

From time to time more lieutenants become available via Great Captain events, randomness, and academies.

As far as hiring adventurers, usually a posting for your intent in the news section can help -- or reaching out to those who have indicated they are in seeking employment for various things.

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Sun Aug 23, 2020 1:21 am

The last few games I went about Lts by focusing on children. You get a minor reward, blooded character, and create their class yourself... takes a little bit of time though.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:08 pm

Using kids as LTs is good solution for gnolls and goblins, an OK solution for humans, halflings, and orogs, and a less than ideal solution for dwarves and elves. So, depends on what you are playing. Definitely would work for CBC, though. Only real problem there is having to spend LT actions more often because gnoll LTs don't live as long.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Aug 23, 2020 12:22 pm

Infeasible for dwarves and impossible for elves, heh. The first-born dwarves would be old enough to hire about when the game ends, while elves will be few dozen turns after that. Half-elves mature just as fast as humans, though.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

CBC - Garand

Post by CBC - Garand » Wed Sep 02, 2020 8:02 pm

I appreciate all the feed back. I was not proposing changes for this game.

It seems really inefficient to go recruiting for a random Lt. Hi I need a magician, posting for a hireling.
Then "hi I'm your new Lt Paladin of destruction, let's go slaughter some heretics.
:()
Damn this Birthday party is going to be lit AF.
Kaigan: Before the ancient flame..
"We grieve."
Kaigan: At this loss..
"We weep."
Kaigan: For the fallen..
"We shout."
Kaigan: And for ourselves..
"We take our leave."