Stronghold

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Stronghold

Post by TH - The Hunt » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:14 pm

Right. Save casting Permanency until you've been visited by three ghosts, have a change of heart, and decide to save Little Timmy with a level 5 hospital that'll remain even after you're gone.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:16 pm

AvD - Alisse wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:12 pm
I tried...my opponent in the mountains wasn't up to the task ;)
The key here is the use of the singular pronoun. If you want to lose, you need to stop ganging up on lone opponents, instead you need to be ganged up on. Numbers are way more important than ability.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:17 pm

I see....you can still create any level building that will last 1 + Level Turns but to make it permanent is 1 perm spell per level. The games last only around 20 Turns so still never going to cast permanency and no need to. So changing the rule seems pointless. And if you shorten the duration but keep the same cost you make it....again...a spell that will be avoided.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:20 pm

And why are these random, hardly ever used spells, etc being focused on as "game breaking" when the biggest game breaking thing of all is the STUPID amount of gold from trade? That is so much worse than anything a wizard can do.

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:20 pm

Hmmm.. why would permanency affect a building when fireball doesn’t?

I understood the ‘mundane’ spells aren’t supposed to have impact on realm/holding/building/action level? Because that is the domain of realm magic?
Last edited by JB - Jana Boulderbrew on Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:21 pm

Don't worry about Permanency as a tactical choice. The only reason to do it aside from 'I'm role-playing a regent who's going to die from old age anyway' is to make it impossible to dispel, in the rare event that you, a person who can spend the better part of a hundred RP on a single spell, find need to worry someone else might spend enough RP to undo it for you.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:22 pm

HD - Halaur Duin wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:20 pm
Hmmm.. why would permanency affect a building when fireball doesn’t?

I understood the ‘mundane’ spells aren’t supposed to have impact on realm/holding/building/action level?
Because Perm spell is listed specifically in the description of Stronghold spell as a way to make it permanent.

Stronghold
(Conjuration/Summoning)
Regency: Special
Gold: 5GB
Duration: 1 Turn, +1 Turn/level
By means of this spell, the wizard conjures up a castle, tower, fortification, or building of any kind. The RP cost is equal to the Gold Bar cost of constructing an equivalent stronghold, but difficult or remote terrain doesn't affect the magical version. For example, a castle (3) normally costs 24 Gold Bars; this realm spell can do the same for 24RP, regardless of where the castle is placed. Note that NWP that reduce the cost also apply to the spell-version.

Stronghold can be used to build a building as well. Note that it likewise lasts 1+Level Turns. Permanency Spell can make it permanent. This costs 1 CON and 1 bloodpoint.

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Fri Dec 25, 2020 2:35 am

Py - Pyroneous wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 6:22 pm
Because Perm spell is listed specifically in the description of Stronghold spell as a way to make it permanent.
I know it’s in the rules, and as it seemed we were discussing the rules, I added my question/opninion.. 😏
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

DD - Domitian Diem

Post by DD - Domitian Diem » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:41 pm

DM Juan wrote:
Thu Dec 24, 2020 1:16 pm
Clumine Dhoesone - Turn 2 Lab 5, cornered the potion market in Taelshore.
Having a source 7 in turn 2 is quite impressive. But that game wasn't "build your own domain" either. And she did have to murder the people that lived in the province too right?
Jedi Master Domitian Diem
Jedi Knight Jaeden Diem

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Dec 26, 2020 7:49 pm

Yeah, I thought about pointing that out. The reason Stronghold was used to great effect in Taelshore but has not been used much since then is because Taelshore started out with high level sources and some source-only regents, but in every game since, sources started out at level 1 or even weren't created yet, while spellcasting regents all started with lands to rule and multi-tasking to do. It's no coincidence the first wizard to have a source 7 this game (or at least, to discuss using the spell with it) is the one who gave up all their lands on turn 1.