Kn Rule Feedback

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Kn Rule Feedback

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:24 pm

I don't think any covert action should be possible, the god should be aware of what their priests are doing, and able to punish them for it directly through the divine connection the priest has worked so hard to build. Unless the priest has the forethought to sever it, despite the personal cost.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:26 pm

Investiture only slows metagame swapping as an action tax.

The other likely use is a peace treaty condition.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:28 pm

Yes. You effectively need to buy your way out of the faith, plus an action tax. Or via war/surrender, it becomes possible that you are forced to let a priest out quicker.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Tue Feb 16, 2021 10:04 pm

MF - Morcuan the Fay wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:05 pm
I just think it's important to impress the degree of power the god has over their priests is such that a betrayal is almost impossible to survive without the consent of the god being abandoned. And even then, they could opt to punish the priest 'lightly' by changing their character class, so they still can't join a new religion as a priest. I don't like the idea of devotion being taken lightly.
I think that might work for a full god, but I don't think the god-lings that we have now should be able to pull that kind of thing off. Until they ascend, they shouldn't have access to the full divine portfolio of employee management.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Tue Feb 16, 2021 11:49 pm

MF - Morcuan the Fay wrote:
Tue Feb 16, 2021 9:24 pm
I don't think any covert action should be possible, the god should be aware of what their priests are doing, and able to punish them for it directly through the divine connection the priest has worked so hard to build. Unless the priest has the forethought to sever it, despite the personal cost.
It has been shown in basically all D&D campaign settings that the 'Gods' are not omniscient. This goes for omniscience on their followers intentions as well, as many of whom have frequently betrayed or usurped the 'Gods' in many of the systems and settings (Planescape and Epic Handbook and Book of Vile Darkness all had portions on this).
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:04 am

There's a big gap between 'omniscient' and 'as ignorant as any mortal'. In 'basically all D&D settings' the gods have superhuman senses and awareness of things relating to their own temples, followers, and divine portfolio. While that doesn't extend to mind-reading, it clearly does extend to awareness of their priests actions, not just including how they wield their god's power but also what they wear, how they fight, and even what they say. If their god expects them to 'keep off they grass', they'd better do it...

CIC - Duke Cicero

Post by CIC - Duke Cicero » Wed Feb 17, 2021 12:51 am

I think it's worth considering that in the past, we've been pretty permissive with selling temple holdings between faiths via investiture, and this isn't that different. Not saying this in defense of the status quo - just something to think about in connection with the current issue.
Duke Cicero
Mayor of Salviene

A man so deep, he's almost unfathomable!
A man so quick, he's even fast asleep!

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Wed Feb 17, 2021 1:01 am

When a temple domain recognizes a new regent, whether for all or just part of it, that doesn't necessarily (and by default, shouldn't) mean the temples or their followers convert or switch faiths. It means those temples and their priests are now subservient to a new regent, one whom they may not agree with but are obligated to serve. They can still rebel, of course. A temple regent can theoretically have dozens of faiths in their domain (just like a guild regent can have dozens of distinct guilds, or a law regent have dozens of feuding vassals, instead of a single entity), though they'll still only be able to cast the spells their own god grants them. Their priests don't have to have the same god. That includes blooded priest lieutenants, who can cast spells their regent can't.

One way to think of it is that the Investiture recognizes the old god as subordinate to the new god, at least for those worshippers. That allows everyone to continue their personal religious practices without too much cognitive dissonance.

LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell

Post by LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell » Wed Feb 17, 2021 4:42 am

"The Gods hold your Sway"
You must wait Tier-turns of your current faith, before you can re-dedicate your Shrines/Temples to a new faith. During this time, you provide no support to any God.
If both parties (the current God, and the leaving Shrine/Temple-holder) do an Investiture Action, they may sever the connection immediately."

"Make em have to "build" their shrine into a new faith. The Old Faith is alerted to the fact and can Excommunicate them with effects lasting until the regent has completely rebuilt his current shrine. Or some bastardization of that.
"

I´d suggest both time and rebuild really. the tier turns for realm spells and temples levels counting for the new, the shrine to make it cost something other than time.
Lord Mayor Cowell VI

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Thu Feb 18, 2021 6:42 am

The Gods are new and weak and derive their power from their faithful. Until we have faiths actually established with actual miracles being cast, I think joining and leaving should be very flexible. These new faiths aren't as sacred as the old ones were...yet.
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist