News Post Encouragement

CSF - Flint

News Post Encouragement

Post by CSF - Flint » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:35 am

I think this might be difficult to do but I'd like to see more public news posts to encourage more interaction and dissemination of storylines.

Is it possible for us to apply some sort of mechanical benefit for realms who post regular news updates? I absolutely loved the massenmarch news, and I'm pretty sure most people agree with me there. However many realms felt like black holes for common info last game.

Knowledge is power and everything you post about your realm is revealing weakness to be exploited surely, so people right now are mechanically rewarded for not participating on this level. I would like to see this flipped somehow, to keep the activity high, without encouraging people to shit in everyone else's news posts 8 times a turn like some members of the community have demonstrated they like to do.

For consideration: A RP or bloodline bump for regular news posts of substance? Would make sense in that the more widely your regent and their actions are known, the greater their influence is. We would need a per turn limit surely but that is a numbers dial we could turn to balance the game. Its own minor objective track maybe?

Maybe there is some other carrot we could use to encourage more engagement? Thoughts?
Captain Shanol Flint

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Re: News Post Encouragement

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:45 am

I like the idea but the problem is how to enforce it without Juan having to Judge each post and what is enough to get a bonus (more work for Juan). There are also a lot of different motives why people play this game. Some want to roleplay a lot and make many posts. Others just want to develop their provinces and in it because of the empire building. Also several are not native english speakers which would not be confortable in makeing long posts in english and would never be able to do some of the posts done in previous rounds.

CSF - Flint

Post by CSF - Flint » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:48 am

Good points. We could use a minimum bar for content/substance, we do not have to judge anyone based on the quality of their writing, that is fair.
Captain Shanol Flint

HaQ - Hakim al-Qadr

Post by HaQ - Hakim al-Qadr » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:51 am

I agree. Because I definitely started a dozen posts throughout the game in the News and then decided not to post any of them because providing any knowledge at all was going to be detrimental to my character. Am I right for doing that? No - but it is a very real demotivation to allow anyone to know anything.
Turn to Avani before you return to Avani
Hakim al-Qadr
Mayor of Barniere

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:52 am

Someone should set up spy rings as well as pay people for rumors/info then they can sell the news/info to anyone who pays them. Or just post it publicly and spam us all with requests for donations every few turns.

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Thu Jan 21, 2021 10:56 am

Fiona was doing it...just very selective in what she posted as news to ensure she didn't bite the many hands paying :)
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

HaQ - Hakim al-Qadr

Post by HaQ - Hakim al-Qadr » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:03 am

I had spies in a couple court forums. It was informative.
Turn to Avani before you return to Avani
Hakim al-Qadr
Mayor of Barniere

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:04 am

A number of game systems have 'inspiration' systems. They unfortunately are not very crunchy and require the DM to change their mindset.

I think if Juan were to get into the habit of tossing a few RP towards a player, every time they do something he feels is comment-worthy or gives him a good feeling or excitement for the game, it would have the desired effect. There would be no mechanic to abuse.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

MaH - Meganno al Hamam

Post by MaH - Meganno al Hamam » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:10 am

There is also the time schedule thing. I for example have lots to do in addition to working and every bit of time have to debated with my girl friend- therefor it was a great help to have a chancelor in New Deismar. And in being German it’s quiet a pain to make longer fluent posts in English without errors.

CSF - Flint

Post by CSF - Flint » Thu Jan 21, 2021 11:15 am

One of the big complaints I am hearing out of the dwarf faction is that they were not involved in the story. No one would fault anyone here from making their best effort to post news, no matter how error filled it is. Especially if english is not your first language. This sort of initiative is how we would try to address your concerns that you were not involved in the story, that the game just ended without your agency.

If you dont have time for the game that is fair, I think it would also be fair to reward those who devoted more time to it, because it would benefit us all. We all have to decide how best to spend our leisure time.

Do you have another idea to sort of fill that gap or achieve that goal? Ideally something that does not put a greater burden on Juan?
Captain Shanol Flint