Relic Theft

CSF - Flint

Relic Theft

Post by CSF - Flint » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:52 pm

The more I think about this the less I like it.

After having your relic stolen, you would be at court 0, and unable to affect anything outside of your adjacent provinces until you built a new one from scratch?
Your faith would lose all of its levels of progression in the meantime and stop granting spells?

I like shrine and divine power push and pull being a central theme, I feel like current iteration of theft is incredibly punitive. Could we come up with a relic sabotage, or relic siphon type of operation instead to replace it? So instead of game over for the victim it is just a setback?
Captain Shanol Flint

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Re: Relic Theft

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:56 pm

Maybe have the loss of relic power progresses over time, rather than be severed instantly? The Empty Shrine acts as a Granary of Divine power kind of thing; giving time to replace the relic.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:57 pm

I dont like it either. Problem with theft is that you can pump gold into it. So the richest players can easy take relic from anyone in the middle or lower field. You could even have a guilder who builds a few temples and steals a few relics get his heir get to found a religion at max lvl straight away (if I have understood the rules correct).

DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas

Post by DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:05 pm

Instead of a nice conflict to get the relics, everyone shall resort to stealing it. Boring. So I made the God of Holy War, but half of the shrines I own are relics stolen by the thief of the group or myself. Really rewarding and glorious!. I think diplomacy and raw power shall be more important than if u sneak and stole everything not nailed to the ground..,)
“No dimensions are closed to the ones in service of the Universal Law.”
Nur Hayati Corben-Talas

CIC - Duke Cicero

Post by CIC - Duke Cicero » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:07 pm

One answer is that if your relic is important to you, you should invest in your counter-espionage pool.

Another is that you should get your own guilder and get that sweet cash cow money. Coin is itself sacred.

But it does seem like it could be a game-ending, rather than game-changing, move.
Duke Cicero
Mayor of Salviene

A man so deep, he's almost unfathomable!
A man so quick, he's even fast asleep!

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:07 pm

MM - Malor Mithrilhand wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:57 pm
I dont like it either. Problem with theft is that you can pump gold into it. So the richest players can easy take relic from anyone in the middle or lower field. You could even have a guilder who builds a few temples and steals a few relics get his heir get to found a religion at max lvl straight away (if I have understood the rules correct).
I think that is a good thing. Stealing relics should shake your regent character's core beliefs. to abide such sacrilegious acts.

Maybe get players to be motivated to redress something, at the risk of their current cliques or alliances.

Along the lines of Bloodtheft, or warring in the Erebannien forest. Things that would supposedly cause enemies to immediately set aside their own conflicts to punish such a transgressor.

Apathy will be the relic's thief ally.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:09 pm

It is a bit weird that invading and occupying a province, replacing its law and guilds with your own and transforming its alignment and culture to match yours only gives you, like, a +15 swing to your chance to steal... but that's not nothing!
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

CIC - Duke Cicero

Post by CIC - Duke Cicero » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:10 pm

The idea of the relics is that they are the material focus for the faith, right? Maybe if your relic is stolen, the power of your faith begins to wane (and gets weaker the longer you don't possess the relic), but an investiture ceremony is required to re-consecrate the relic to the new religion? And that investiture could be bid against?
Duke Cicero
Mayor of Salviene

A man so deep, he's almost unfathomable!
A man so quick, he's even fast asleep!

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:20 pm

The Relic is what powers the Faith. I had originally, in fact, intended it to strip you of the ability to even gain RP from your domain. But, this way, your domain still functions perfectly fine. To be clear, currently your shrine still works to extend your court, and has some residual palace-function, what happens is you provide 0 power to a faith. IF you are upset about the rich-ass guilder stealing your relics, and saying they now empower the God of Thieves, you should, as the former faith of WAR go bloody invade those thieves, and burn them down until either they surrender and give back the relic, or you have burned down every temple of thievery in the land, and now their church is also worthless.

It is designed by intent, to cause conflict.

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Fri Jan 22, 2021 3:23 pm

Crusade!
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!