Castles

DM Juan
Site Admin

Re: Castles

Post by DM Juan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:01 pm

I cannot direct hits like that, it is semi-random. I will see what happens if I put castle to move 0

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:03 pm

Okay, move 0 it is. They just don't advance, which makes way more sense anyway. They fire from their square, and if people get into melee with them, they go to melee mode.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:07 pm

The rule was that a castle with no units inside counts as being defended by a single unit of irregulars, representing the garrison (which is dozens of soldiers already) and its built-in defenses (boiling oil and so forth).

As far as I know, you have to take the fortifications down to 0 before you can fully occupy a province, though you can just use units to neutralize it and occupy what isn't protected by the castle. I suppose a battle to capture the fortifications intact might be a way to avoid having to ruin them completely, though then you'd lose units instead of castle levels. I don't think that's the way we've ever done it, though.

Units can retreat inside a castle to avoid being destroyed when they rout during a province battle with nowhere else to retreat to. This is a pretty big benefit already.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Wed Mar 03, 2021 1:08 pm

No, you have to assault or siege it down to 0 before you can occupy the province. You can pillage out anything above castle level, though, without taking the castle.