Post by DM Juan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 7:31 am

Yup, order of priority for Levying:

Ruler of Province
State X
Random

CIC - Duke Cicero

Re: Law Holdings

Post by CIC - Duke Cicero » Tue Mar 23, 2021 9:03 am

I agree that having more conflict built in is better. Law holdings and the support they offer or withhold also feels more significant in a world where there are fewer holding monopolies. The standard setting has a lot more of this than our starting from scratch games tend to. We end up mostly with relatively neat, clean borders, with allied powers maximizing holdings and little overlap. Reaching beyond that is often seen as, and in fact done as, an "act of war."

I think part of this is the prevalence of landed guild, source, and temple realms. Unlanded realms are incredibly uncommon, whereas in the original setting landed theocracies or merchant republics are more the exception.

I have no recommendations here, only comments.
Duke Cicero
Mayor of Salviene

A man so deep, he's almost unfathomable!
A man so quick, he's even fast asleep!

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Mar 23, 2021 11:57 am

I have an idea. Next game, even if we use the 'explore and expand' mechanic, everyone who goes through the portal (if one alas becomes necessary) could end up in the same location, for once. Meaning all PCs (and NPCs) start in the same province, meaning expansion begins from that point, meaning who rules each province and holding (rather than being left as domainless adventurers) needs to be sorted out in some way, possibly with compromise candidates or contests being involved.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:12 pm

That's a pretty good idea.

RaH - Rassan al Hamam

Post by RaH - Rassan al Hamam » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:13 pm

That would be just pure chaos with 25 people trying to talk via mail or forum about that. I don't like that at all.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:15 pm

Well, I expect half of them would march off in random directions to get away from the massed gathering.

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Tue Mar 23, 2021 12:51 pm

Current version of startup is best to me. You're guaranteed a favorable terrain province and that's about it. You still have to put in the work to find neighbors, make nice or war with them, and whatnot.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:08 pm

Problem it would take ages before you get away exploring takes time. The person who would settle the first province would have a huge advantage.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:13 pm

I think it would be an interesting change, especially if there was a stable gateway in the starting province.

And, you're right, MM -- which is why there would likely be a huge struggle over the province. That's not a bad thing, though. It's just a different kind of story.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Mar 23, 2021 1:13 pm

Only if, and only by, the consent of those governed... which would kind of be the main point. They wouldn't have enough settlers to do much on their own, and anyone else (working as a team) would be able to take the province from them, through armed force or agitation.

(It'd make sense for each regent to have only 1 settler.)
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."