Warding Spell

TF - The Fortress

Re: Warding Spell

Post by TF - The Fortress » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:00 pm

The good news is it has an easy fix, create source can be done in the warded province.

KIS

Keep It Simple.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

HaQ - Hakim al-Qadr

Post by HaQ - Hakim al-Qadr » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:03 pm

You can Siphon the magic from an adjacent province that you have no source in. Technically doable. Though if they have a Source 6 this doesn't actually fail the ward spell. I agree it is an issue. I just don't agree that 12 turns in we can invalid entire strategies because of it.

And you can (I am fairly sure) use Regent Site - Assassination outside of someone's capital. Just like you can assassinate them if they are battle because you know they are there.
Turn to Avani before you return to Avani
Hakim al-Qadr
Mayor of Barniere

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:13 pm

MD - Mishrak wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:03 pm
You can Siphon the magic from an adjacent province that you have no source in. Technically doable. Though if they have a Source 6 this doesn't actually fail the ward spell. I agree it is an issue. I just don't agree that 12 turns in we can invalid entire strategies because of it.

And you can (I am fairly sure) use Regent Site - Assassination outside of someone's capital. Just like you can assassinate them if they are battle because you know they are there.
Siphon Magic potentially could, yes. So there is one chink in the armor unless it is a Source 6+ in which case, as you point out, it doesn't work then.

Regent Site works, unless they never leave said bubble.

Warding was intended to be able to be brought down. It's clear in intent throughout the core books as well as every iteration of the campaigns played, the language just has to be corrected to make it work as intended. Running loopholes for a few turns is fine, building a permanent strategy on something which had clear break in it is not reasonable.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:15 pm

Leyline+Dispel magic has always been the published counter. Is maintaining this counter, in light of leyline anchor rules change, really going to invalidate anyone's strategy? Seems like it's clarifying intended strategies, and closing an unintended exploit that a rule change elsewhere caused.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:18 pm

I agree, allowing you to create a source 0 within a warded province, is the logical solution. It just adds a second action, meaning the local wizard can contingency contest the source in response, so makes it moderately harder to break wards.

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Mon Mar 22, 2021 12:21 pm

In that case, I guess it isn't possible to go back a turn or 6 and change some of our decisions? :( :D
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."