Warding Spell

TF - The Fortress

Warding Spell

Post by TF - The Fortress » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:15 am

With the change to Ley Lines this game (not allowing them to be created without anchors at both ends), a gap in a spell probably needs to be resolved and while at it some of the wording needs to be considered or confirmed as to it's mechanical impact not in game (Underline below is mine).
DM Juan wrote:
Thu Aug 02, 2018 2:22 pm
Warding
(Abjuration)
Regency: 5RP/province
Gold: 2GB/province
Duration: 1 Turn, +1 Action/Level
With this spell, a mage weaves a barrier of impenetrable mists and fog that prevents any creatures from entering or leaving a province. Regardless of their actions, creatures are turned around and find themselves emerging from the mist at the same spot they entered it. A wizard or priest with appropriate spells or magical items has a 50% chance of successfully leading up to one person per level through the mist.

A mage can ward one province at 4th level, two at 6th, and three at 8th, four at 10th, and five at 12th - 5 is the maximum number of provinces that can be warded with 1 casting. Warding costs 5 Regency Points per province affected. Wars, trade, and diplomacy are all but impossible while a warding is in effect. The caster is immune to the effects of his own warding and may lead as many individuals through the mists as he wishes.

NB: Only the person who warded province may take domain actions in said province with the exception of casting of dispel magic or creation of leylines into said province. The casting wizard can lead level-units through the wards per action [excluding the action in which it was cast]. they are considered to arrive in war move#2 of that action; wizard must declare war to do so, and must accompany army in battles in that province. Armies trapped within wards, so long as they have a general with them, can take military actions within that province.

First, is the Wars, Trade, and Diplomacy aspect:
Wars - can't come in, although an exception exists for armies trapped within. This seems straight forward.
Trade - trade routes are cut, seems straight forward and I'd think no impact to guild activity.
Diplomacy - should be none allowed. No signing of treaties, etc.

Second, is the exception of casting dispel realm magic or create Ley line. As Ley Lines now need an anchor at both ends, this should be expanded to be "with the exception of casting of dispel realm magic, the creation of a source, or creation of leylines into said province."

Thoughts and considerations?
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell

Re: Warding Spell

Post by LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell » Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:21 am

*edited

I misread what you wrote as part in the original. I agree with what you wrote.

Given the inability to make leylines without source strengthened the ward spell, could weaken it by allowing anyone who possess the ward spell(or any magic user even) to come and go alone, making it slightly easier for a hostile mage to create a source and leyline. Would still take 2 actions so hardly a big weakening except for very longtime wardings.
Otherwise there is the risk of simply wasting action after action.
Lord Mayor Cowell VI

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:21 am

Mae - Maedhros wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:21 am
Given the inability to make leylines without source strengthened the ward spell, could weaken it by allowing anyone who possess the ward spell(or any magic user even) to come and go alone, making it slightly easier for a hostile mage to create a source and leyline. Would still take 2 actions so hardly a big weakening except for very longtime wardings.
I'd say creating a source is a domain action?
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell

Post by LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:25 am

Ma - Mag wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:21 am
Mae - Maedhros wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 6:21 am
I'd say creating a source is a domain action?
Yes? I do not understand what you are commenting on?

I suggest the 50% RNG chance to enter for lone magic users should be removed to compensate for the warding spell being increased in strength by adding that 1 domain action from create source?
Lord Mayor Cowell VI

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:28 am

The rules mention "Only the person who warded province may take domain actions in said province with the exception of casting of dispel magic or creation of leylines into said province."

So even if you enter (or be trapped in the warding), you would not be able to create a source holding.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:30 am

It is already strong enough.

It currently can be set up in a province and unless you or another wizard has a source there, a ward can be enacted which you then cannot breach since you can't drop in a ley line to cast dispel without having a source there in the first place.

Correct Mag. That is why the proposed change.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

MaH - Meganno al Hamam

Post by MaH - Meganno al Hamam » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:35 am

If that is removed, warding will do nothing in holding an army to attack because any unfriendly wizard can just enter, create a source and cast dispel magic- similar as warding is never cast, but ley lines into a warded provinces are most probably not possible. I like the momentarily rules as they are original BR and allow for warded provinces to feel secure for a little bit as are in fantasy literature lots of examples are used. It makes targetting the costly warded provinces a lot more unplannable how long you need to subdue them.

MaH - Meganno al Hamam

Post by MaH - Meganno al Hamam » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:37 am

Note that needing a source is original BR rules to cast a spell or lay a leyline- the houserules are just changed back, so I see no reason to now change warding also because of that. And to ward a province over longer time is quiet costly.

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:49 am

There is no long term cost for warding. It is the same cost any turn you cast it.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell

Post by LMC - Lord Mayor Cowell » Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:51 am

Ma - Mag wrote:
Mon Mar 22, 2021 7:28 am
The rules mention "Only the person who warded province may take domain actions in said province with the exception of casting of dispel magic or creation of leylines into said province."

So even if you enter (or be trapped in the warding), you would not be able to create a source holding.
That is what Riva is suggesting to change to include create source though. Which I agreed with.
Lord Mayor Cowell VI