Future game set-up concepts

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Re: Future game set-up concepts

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:01 pm

I noticed a less than active playerbase too. I assumed the school year starting, might be messing with a few peoples free time.

Im sure losing a day of work for Thanksgiving didnt help juans workload either.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Mon Oct 11, 2021 7:08 pm

AP - Apiskopalny Piekielne wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 5:01 pm
I noticed a less than active playerbase too. I assumed the school year starting, might be messing with a few peoples free time.

Im sure losing a day of work for Thanksgiving didnt help juans workload either.
For me it's definitely the beginning of the school year. I have less time now than I did in August and early September.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

CIC - Duke Cicero

Post by CIC - Duke Cicero » Tue Oct 12, 2021 6:57 am

I did start a new job in September that generally gives me fewer opportunities throughout the day to hop on.

Right now I’m waiting for some inputs from others affected by the slow-down, and turn resolution.

As for interest in the game, I went into it with limited goals and achieved those many turns ago. Since then I’ve found other goals to be interested in, but nothing that I’d be sad to see unresolved - once the pantheon is sorted out, that is.

I like the character(s) I’ve developed though so I don’t mind continuing to play in this world if others have more unfinished business than I do.
Duke Cicero
Mayor of Salviene

A man so deep, he's almost unfathomable!
A man so quick, he's even fast asleep!

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:38 am

In all honesty, the game feels 'over'. Both in the impression that nothing that can be done that will change the outcome, and the lethargy that seems to have slipped into the characters.

Ofc that is completely personal (and not intended as a judgement whatsoever), but to me it removes the fun part of the game.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 2:42 am

Yeah, if I believed that were true I wouldn't keep playing. It's just that I don't believe that's true, or that anything could ever make it true. And I wouldn't be interested in the game in the first place if I thought an immutable outcome was even on the list of possibilities.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Thu Oct 14, 2021 9:54 am

I have to agree with Mag, while characters (and their players) always have 'freedom' to enact plans and such, the impact they can have on the over-arching theme has quickly reduced. When the core concept of this iteration is to 'enact a new grouping of gods' -- the ability to impact that creation has reduced significantly. The majority of the higher powers (intermediate+) is already locked in (with some ascensions still having to occur). While we can continue to play the various realms in the post-'Pantheon' state, there is a significant loss of energy in the community from my perspective to keep things going.

The 'Pantheon' is mostly set at this point, and the number of players with influence on any final gods/etc is inordinately reduced. When 95% of the players have little to no impact on the remainder of the game, it has ceased to be a community game and is now in the realm of solitaire and similar.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 12:28 pm

The would-be pantheon hasn't significantly shifted in the past fifteen turns. Almost the entire game has just been 'locking in' something that formed very early on. So, again, if it's even possible for the pantheon to get immutably baked in, and establishing it is the main point of the game, most of the game has been a waste of time and there's nothing new or recent about this being 'mostly set'. Logically, the reason we have been playing for twenty-six turns and didn't end the game fifteen turns ago is because it's entirely possible to break those locks and change the pantheon. And it is, though I surely recognize the need for a morale boost for most players to see how that's possible, and how they can have influence too.

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Thu Oct 14, 2021 1:24 pm

Agree to disagree.

Teferyn didn't exist 15 turns ago.

Ishka was moving upwards quickly until Riva stepped out.

Maulok wasn't a figment 15 turns ago.

Entities were in a much stronger position 15 turns ago.

Gaia was much weaker without the merger 15 turns ago.

Agarhoen wasn't a figment 15 turns ago.

Apollyon hadn't burnt a lot of bridges 15 turns ago.

Hircine was in the lead then and is now, that hasn't changed.

Now, if you had indicated nothing hasn't changed much in the past 5 to 6 turns (in regards to pantheon) -- I would agree whole-heartedly, which oddly enough is around the time when Juan put it to the players whether to continue onward a bit more or not.

Logically we didn't end the game 15 turns ago because the status of the entities and whether/who would be in a pantheon was still up in the air. That's since been resolved in the past 5 turns (with a few ascensions still to come, although it is clear to everyone Hircine will ascend as a greater god and be the de facto head of the pantheon).
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:03 pm

If more than half the game is about sorting out the details in the shadow of the big picture, that's a bigger problem than any problem we actually have.

Uou're underestimating how many of the events above are direct consequences of the one thing you're not disputing. Most of the items in your list were either directly enabled by Hircine being in the position it is, or engineered as a specific response to it. That means there's still a lot of room for change, particularly if your assumption is wrong and Hircine doesn't ascend, the conclusions you draw from it are subverted, or Hircine's ascension doesn't mean what you think it means. So, I'm standing by what I said above.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Thu Oct 14, 2021 3:09 pm

Or, I could be more punchy: This is a role-playing game, not a despair simulator.