Poll: New Game

Are you ready to move on to the next chapter and start a new game?

Yes, everything I wanted to work on is complete.
22%
Yes, but there were minor things I wished to resolve.
44%
Yes, but there were still major things I wished to resolve.
6%
We're in a game?
No votes
No, but I had most of the things I was working on resolved.
6%
No, and there are major issues I am still workingn on resolving.
22%
HELL NO! You can't end my plotting yet!
No votes

Total votes: 18

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Re: Poll: New Game

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:04 pm

Until we know who will be able to ascend as greater goods we should not finish this round. There is no consent yet so might take a few more rounds

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:21 pm

MM - Maro Mithrilhand wrote:
Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:04 pm
Until we know who will be able to ascend as greater goods we should not finish this round. There is no consent yet so might take a few more rounds
I thought there was -- that it was going to be Hircine, Gaia, and Kordara with a +1 of Verdaloth.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Sat Oct 16, 2021 5:33 pm

That was who I thought it was going to be as well.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Oct 16, 2021 6:45 pm

Until they've done it, nothing can guarantee they'll ever be able to. It's not entirely in the hands of the players who gets to ascend, and it's not entirely at DM discretion either. The rules make surprises possible, with or without intervention.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:01 pm

I don’t know what plan you are waiting for but if say it’s against Mishrak for example…. Can you take satisfaction in any success when the only reason it is possible is because Mishrak reigned himself in from conquering more just so he wouldn’t end the game too early or be too bored? It’s like someone forgiving your having to pay rent on Boardwalk in Monopoly if it is gonna wipe you out. At that point it’s better to just play again isn’t it? Maybe it’s like other aspects of the game. Depends on how you were brought up? If you were part of the generation where everyone gets a first place ribbon then maybe you think it was a deserved accomplishment? He won and the rest is just small details.

I am all for playing an open ended game as long as it is stated that the game will be such at the beginning. But as it has always ended once the meta plot is done then most of us don’t make long term plans once it has reached that point. So any possibilities you think you have of changing the outcome are only through the breathing room given to you from decisions others have made or not made due to having been told by the DM that it is close to wrapping up.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:28 pm

I told you back in Taelshore, this isn't Risk. (Or any other board game.) What you're describing is fundamentally not how this game works. The game doesn't end just because someone conquers the world, and even attempting to conquer the world is impossible for someone who isn't good at diplomacy. Gaining control isn't a win condition here, either. Despite the perks, it's a responsibility, and a burden. 'Emperor of the world' is just another political role.

'Participation trophies' are trash, but if we're going to inappropriately use sports metaphors here, scoring goals (or even almost scoring them) is an accomplishment no matter what the score on the board says. Even in sports where there are winners and losers--which in no way resemble this game--players are expected to focus on acquitting themselves well on the field, and being the best they can be. They're not supposed to just give up and go home when there's not enough time left on the clock to even the score. They'd get booed out of their own stadiums if they did. (Which adds to how useless the sports metaphor is, since we're also not performing for an audience here!)

Anyway, to answer your implied question, I don't need to 'take satisfaction in success' because I know there's no winning or losing, and success and failure aren't the point of the game. What I would take satisfaction in is a) an interesting story, instead of a boring, predicable eye-roller of one and b) seeing attempts to sabotage it and confirm it as a waste of time foiled by the intricacies of the game and the community playing it.

You missed the main point: The outcome can change even if no one does anything to change it. That's still part of the game. This is an RPG. At the most foundational level, we say what we want to do, the DM tells us our new situation, and asks us what we do next.

We do not have control over the situation we're in, we only have control over our actions. And because the game has rules, the DM doesn't just make stuff up. Sometimes--usually!--he doesn't decide what happens, either. Even if everyone wants something to happen, that doesn't mean it will. It doesn't have to. That's not the point. The point is that we have fun deciding what to do next. What our characters do next.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:41 pm

No I told YOU back then and won that argument that it is first and foremost a wargame and the stories people pull out of it is secondary. I further told you if the game turns into what you want, some kind of LARP by text it will end. The core group who made this game and play it as a war game first will leave and once that happens and the game is majority of how your twisted mind thinks it should be played, Juan will quickly become disinterested. The game should have ended turns ago. This core group, this clique you keep railing against is what made this game continue for over a decade. You are tolerated...barely. Everyone here knows your only goal since the first time we crossed through a portal, when we wanted to see your map, is to destroy this perceived clique even if it takes acting like an insane person and destroying the game in the process to attain your goal. Your constant contrariness to anything that anyone says and your novel length bitch fests have turned most against you. Start your own game and make the rules the way you want to play and see how long it lasts and how many players you get. Test it out. You are wrong and have always been wrong. Your only redeeming quality is that you reply quickly.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:50 pm

It's not a wargame. I listed the common features and focus of wargames have that this clearly doesn't have and the common features and focus of role-playing games have this just as clearly does have. You don't get to win an argument just by saying you did, although I'm not entirely convinced arguments are something that can be won anymore in this world either, given how willing the people participating are to ignore facts and evidence.

I have literally never LARPed and don't enjoy the other RPGs you've attempted to associate me with, so you're just making shit up and fighting a figment of your imagination. I wonder if you've ever played a wargame, either. Maybe the reason you think this is one is because you don't know what they are? They have exponentially more detailed battlefield and army management rules than this has, and they have war-related clear objectives, which this has never had. This isn't even a simulation, much less a simulation of war. Not only is war not the focus of this game, it wouldn't lose much if wars were only conducted by NPCs and PCs were left with the rest of the game.

Juan isn't enthused when the game is treated like a wargame, either. It's more work and less fun for him than when the game is played at a lower level of intensity.
Last edited by TH - The Hunt on Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:52 pm

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sat Oct 16, 2021 7:54 pm

Go have a shower, flavoured drink powder isn't good for your skin.