Specialized Specialized Secondary Classes

DM Juan
Site Admin

Specialized Specialized Secondary Classes

Post by DM Juan » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:29 am

I am strongly considering it to be a requirement if you are a subclass that is captured within a religion that you are a member of that religion, if you are the class.

Bard -> Herald
Thief (Burglar, Cutpurse Kits) -> Maulok
Thief (Assassin Kit) -> First Brother
Guilder -> Apollyon
Paladin -> Gaia
Ranger -> Hircine

If there are more than 1 religion of Rangers and/or Paladins, of course, you can pick which one applies.

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Re: Specialized Specialized Secondary Classes

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:40 am

Would that restrict alignments further or those classes then? No LG rangers?
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:44 am

I like it, other than the thief class being Maulok. I think the core non-priestly classes (fighter, mage, thief) should be free an clear of any religion. I do think it would make sense to, like with First Brother, make certain thief kits (maybe Burglar and/or Cutpurse and/or Swindler, etc-- especially Burglar, given the history of the faith) automatic members of the faith.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

CSF - Flint

Post by CSF - Flint » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:45 am

All guild holders would have to be either maulok or appolyon with this rule? Doesnt feel right to me.
Captain Shanol Flint

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:50 am

AA - Aingeal Aghmohr wrote:
Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:45 am
All guild holders would have to be either maulok or appolyon with this rule? Doesnt feel right to me.
or The Herald's Bards
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

CSF - Flint

Post by CSF - Flint » Fri Nov 05, 2021 10:54 am

Agree with AB here. Makes sense for the caster classes for sure since they derive something supernatural from it. It being impossible to be a good business man unless you are a devil summoner guy makes less sense to me.
Captain Shanol Flint

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:23 pm

I don't think it should be mandatory even for the 'caster classes'... although rangers with no particular deity would have to be good-aligned, and a paladin with no deity would be absolutely restricted to LG alignment. Whether it's wise to defy the religion which captured your class is another story. (That story could have "Life finds a way" as a tagline.)
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:41 pm

Rangers and Paladins are granted divine spells, and Bards have quite restricted spell-lists in Birthright setting. Rangers and Paladins, at least, should require associated faith. I think Bards should as well. I can sub-kit the Thief for Maulok/Brother, that is reasonable. Maybe Thieves can only have kits if they follow a God, works.
Guilders... I am less sure.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:53 pm

There are ranger and paladin kits that don't receive spells, what about those? And paladins normally don't get any spells until 9th level anyway. Low rank deities can still provide their spells, too. Rangers never get 4th level spells anyway, and paladins don't until level 15, which I don't think any has ever reached.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

TF - The Fortress

Post by TF - The Fortress » Fri Nov 05, 2021 12:59 pm

Bards would lean towards the Herald, certainly -- but would every bard need to be? They are arcane casters, not divine.

Rangers and paladins should only come from faiths which allow for them. If they do not have a faith capable of supporting them then they would be classified as fighters and could take kits to give more of a ranger/paladin feel without the true benefits of ranger/paladin.

Thieves should not have any restriction to a god. Adding one is completely opposite to the CN belief-set espoused by Maulok.

Assassin's should likely follow the Brother, but there are likely some who kill for money and aren't religious in the slightest.
The Fortress!

Morwe of Cuiraécen

Face each day like a storm;
Respect it;
Fear it;
Endure it;
Thrive in it!