Topic: Armies too large

DM Juan
Site Admin

Re: Topic: Armies too large

Post by DM Juan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:55 am

The easiest solution is that we will have less population/provinces this game, plus increase unit costs moderately, plus cap to 1 Training Ground/Shipyard.

There could be "contracts to help against Hegemony invading X" I suppose.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:05 am

SK - the Architect wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:35 am
The problem with these suggestions is that it's all more information to track, and therefore add to the GM's workload.
I have to disagree for the most part. There would be an initial increase by having to establish the baseline, but after that it's less of keeping track of things than you might imagine. It is fairly easy to keep track of without double checking numbers all the time, by simple dent of keeping track of the things that a GM already is watching. For instance, province levels going up is going to slowly increase force pool levels. Someone who is trying to field very large armies from few / sparsely populated areas is a red flag anyway. We're not adding anything to keep track of, in my experience with set up's like these. Not really.

As far as the force pool goes, the way I envision it to work would be a recruiting cap, not a maximum army size cap. By that, I mean that you might have a dozen units, but you'd only be able to recruit 3 or 2 (or whatever the number works out to be) units at any single time. I believe this pairs well with the reduced number of training fields. Logically, a training field can only be so large, and if you only have 1 field, the number of units that can be trained at a single time is finite.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:06 am

DM Juan wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 8:55 am
The easiest solution is that we will have less population/provinces this game, plus increase unit costs moderately, plus cap to 1 Training Ground/Shipyard.

There could be "contracts to help against Hegemony invading X" I suppose.
I can see that. It also would increase the importance of trustworthy allies, who would (presumably) be willing to send troops as well for mutual defense.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

BS - Torpor

Post by BS - Torpor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:08 am

One thing - I´d suggest capping the class specifik 1 only building to character level.

a fighter 8 could build trainingground 8. A multiclass with the same amount of xp would just hit 6.

Or, if thats to high, halv level. so 4 for the warr, and 3 for the multi
Tor'por
"When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track,
With poison in my wine cup, and daggers at my back."
- Robert E. Howard

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:21 am

I tentatively will put in half-level cap on class buildings as well. Debating that though. I like it, but it also works weird. I suppose if you die, and a lower level character (or other class) takes over, you are not going to lose the building.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:36 am

Maybe have it only apply when building or upgrading? That way you're not losing the building, but a lower level individual isn't going to be able to make upgrades to it for a while.

BS - Torpor

Post by BS - Torpor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:51 am

Yeah. when building makes sense. Its easier to use something then to create it so the lower level heir could just not expand on it.
Tor'por
- Robert E. Howard

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:51 am

Yeah, that is my thought too. You need to be Fighter 10 to build the Training Grounds V, not use it.

DK - Duergan King

Post by DK - Duergan King » Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:57 am

DM Juan wrote:
Tue Apr 02, 2019 9:51 am
Yeah, that is my thought too. You need to be Fighter 10 to build the Training Grounds V, not use it.
Does it have to be a fighter? Could you not have a different level needed for each class. A level 10 fighter could build a level five training ground but a level 10 wizard could only build a level 2 training ground for example.

The importance of a training ground to a landed regent can make it very powerful if only fighter can build it. Or is it only a fighter can build the higher levels?

BS - Torpor

Post by BS - Torpor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 10:01 am

Its always been only fighter thou. Its part of the point to give them supremacy with troops:)
Tor'por
- Robert E. Howard