Topic: Armies too large

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Re: Topic: Armies too large

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Mar 29, 2019 7:57 pm

I meant the amount of words in turns. Nothing will stop people writing novels in their turn orders. So need to cut corners on war rules and everywhere else possible and make as basic as possible which will hopefully lessen the amount of words possible when describing your turn as well. Your reply seems to indicate you thought I was talking about how many words you are using in the discussion of rules. Or did you purposely misunderstand me as a way of trying to show that a lot of words are needed for some people to understand concepts? I assumed when I said Juan has to read them times 25 you would see that as 25 people’s turn orders every turn. Maybe your turn orders aren’t as wordy. I just assumed.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:08 pm

The above exchange is an example as to why diplomacy with you breaks down a lot. It’s like you hear something entirely different from what someone is saying.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:35 pm

Fine, let me show how I parse this, then.

'See the amount of words you alone churn out? That’s great for detail and complication etc. but Juan has to read that times 25. Just reading everyone’s plans takes a long time especially when they are so wordy. Then he has to reread when trying to see how everyone’s plans interact and effect each other.' -> 'You type a lot of words. Juan has to read a lot of words. Then he has to think about lots of words.' (no new information)

'So trimming the war rules down to something as basic as possible without being boring is what I am trying to think of.' -> 'I think we should make the rules as simple as possible (to make things easier for Juan.)' -- This is what I was responding to. Simpler rules don't necessarily have that effect, since Juan has to deal with not just the rules, but also all the consequences, direct and indirect. And those are bigger. So an argument in favour of simplification hadn't been made.

I'll give this part a similar treatment.

'I meant the amount of words in turns.'

There's a turn template. Every turn should be a single page. If there's flavour text it should be a couple of paragraphs, and just for fun. It doesn't matter.

'Nothing will stop people writing novels in their turn orders.'

Juan shouldn't have to read these. Even if there's flavour text, he shouldn't need to read it. Turn reports will normally be about 500 words, or less if the turn doesn't have wars or adventures. Contingencies can make those longer, but can be mostly ignored. You're saying 'nothing will stop them', but there's no reason to do it, and he doesn't need to read it.

' So need to cut corners on war rules and everywhere else possible and make as basic as possible which will hopefully lessen the amount of words possible when describing your turn as well.'

Even if this followed from the above, none of the previous or proposed war rules change the length of turn reports in any meaningful way, except where they reduce the total number of units. Any restrictions on training, whether from buildings, holdings, WP, or province levels, are all on the player's side. BirMail tracks holding levels, province levels, and GB already, so none of these are things Juan would need to track independently. He'd only need to intervene if a player had chosen an invalid action, and that's not new, avoidable, or made more complicated in any way I can see.

'Your reply seems to indicate you thought I was talking about how many words you are using in the discussion of rules.
Or did you purposely misunderstand me as a way of trying to show that a lot of words are needed for some people to understand concepts?''

I thought you were talking about how many words it would take to describe the final rules.

'I assumed when I said Juan has to read them times 25 you would see that as 25 people’s turn orders every turn. Maybe your turn orders aren’t as wordy. I just assumed.'

Not counting contingencies, I have no idea why a turn report would need to be more than 250-500 words, or how it would help. I assume the rest would just be for entertainment purposes.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:46 pm

Omg I have to quit my job to read this.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:49 pm

I think me and Amy start out at war next game... :D

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:57 pm

Does giving you context even have a Goldilocks zone?
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Mar 29, 2019 8:58 pm

Can you expand on that?

SG - Sigrun Godefroy

Post by SG - Sigrun Godefroy » Fri Mar 29, 2019 9:01 pm

The length of the words do not matter. So long as the rules of what is possible to acomplish is clear and concise that is what matters most. Everything else is fluff
Sigrun Godefroy warrior of Hircine

JB - Jontinius Bruin

Post by JB - Jontinius Bruin » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:06 pm

Communication With Arawn

I say A is true.

Arawn says B is true.

I give reason.

He gives counter reason.

I give counter counter reason and hyperbole his assumptions into absurdity.

He scoffs, calls me crazy or stupid.

I say yes! Maybe apologize for the hyperbole.

I say A.

He Says B.

I say fine A++++++!!! and Orate

He says fine A.

He betrays and does B anyways.

End result, we both know why/how/what we were talking about

Communication with Namel

I say A is true.

Namel says B is true.

I give reason

He gives counter reason.

I give counter counter reason and make a concession (Namel and I were never too far in theory on what was an ideal outcome)

Namel says that isn't enough

I ask questions about A and or B

Namel talks about C and D

I ask where did C and D come from

Namel claims because E

I say okay because of that we can do A-- and B++ and maybe handle 2 of C,D, and E.

Namel NO! we need to do B,C,D,E,F, and G or else they can't work together

I realize this is true and stop communicating because communication makes my Headache come back.

DB - Diarmuid

Post by DB - Diarmuid » Fri Mar 29, 2019 11:08 pm

+1
"Life is like a bag of cherries, it's pretty good until you bite into the rotten one."