Topic: Of Buildings

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Re: Topic: Of Buildings

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:07 pm

When it costs 50 GB to construct the building 5 GB/turn isn't that much of a bonus. Assuming average build of 1d6. It would take 14 turns to build and an additional 10 turns to make the money back. Assuming you started construction turn 5 you would not be making a profit on it until 30 or so... At that point 5 GB is not a big deal. At the end of last game Kragen was making over 90 GB/turn and he only started turn 11. I would much rather have had the ability to train more soldiers.

The main advantage I see for the customs house is the ability to hub routes for resources. You could have 3 trade routes going to the main hub then with a chain all provinces with routes going into the hub would have the resources. Doing stuff like that with wood was why I was able to build such a huge navy without building more than one shipyard.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:47 pm

It's 20 GB to build it to the level it gives a free trade route. At 40 GB it'd give two. The full 50 isn't required for that with the proposal.

Cities can also be used as a resource hub, since they naturally have 4 trade route slots. Those are very, very late game, though. We only saw one last game.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:50 pm

Regarding monoliths and cathedrals storing spells: The buildings themselves can be targeted, by sabotage or raids if not by pillaging. So storing spells in them wouldn't stop them from getting burned out. You'd need fortifications regardless. And fortified holdings are how you stop sources from being burned out (which isn't easy... only 1 level at a time.) It's hard to burn out a priest even if they don't have fortified holdings or the Bless Holding spell due to the 'unofficial state faith' rules.

It's odd that no one has the Bless Holding spell, I guess.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:52 pm

It’s the duration.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sun Apr 07, 2019 2:59 pm

3 action rounds and the way it reads you can only cast it on 1 holding. And it’s 3 rp per level. And it’s an action to cast it. Someone comes after you you can cast it and that one holding has some defense. Who is going to come after 1 holding at a time unless you only have 1. In that case you can’t keep up the rp cost. Even if you can cast it on multiple holdings the rp cost is punishing for 3 action rounds. Your enemy just says oh I’ll wait after you spend 60 rp to bless 20 holding levels. A lot of the spells are useless. Spell casters have just a few spells that are useful on a regular basis. Some others that might be useful like bless holding are prohibitively expensive and a useless gesture because they will drain your resources and only slightly delay the inevitable.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:04 pm

Delaying the inevitable is handy when there's more than one inevitable, and the question is which one's going to come first. But it's true, these priest spell lists are pretty short. Maybe cathedrals should add more spells to the priest's list!

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:52 pm

AA - Albion Arawnson wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 1:56 pm

Spell casters monoliths and cathedrals should be able to store realms spells you cast into them. They are too susceptible to being burned out at whim. Building capped at province level or 5.
Not sure I agree. Yes, sources are vulnerable...if they're found. But, that's the point. They're difficult to find, requiring concerted effort rather than just stumbling upon them, and while I can see the idea of having something to protect them, practically they would be vulnerable. It''s easy to burn down / chop down and enchanted grove, fill in or foul a magical spring, etc. It's how mages are balanced to realm rulers. Even when I played an arcane caster, I accepted that there were some things that could pose me or my sources a risk.

I'd be willing to compromise to 1 realm spell to a source that defensively casts in an attempt to burn out the source, at the cost of casting both the protect source / let line domain spell, and the domain spell you want to be triggered later on. Other than that, it's just too OP.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:53 pm

Cathedral and other faith buildings already have the built in defense of the faithful defending them / refusing to carry out the orders. I'm not sure that it wouldn't make them OP to have extra defenses.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:00 pm

AF - Areida Faderan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 3:04 pm
Delaying the inevitable is handy when there's more than one inevitable, and the question is which one's going to come first. But it's true, these priest spell lists are pretty short. Maybe cathedrals should add more spells to the priest's list!
This I can get behind 100%. It makes sense to me, with the library giving the same to arcane casters.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:19 pm

The Custom House or whatever named, could instead of 3 free espionage/turn, grant the ability to (attempt) to place a spy ring, based on it's size. So Custom House 5 would allow 3 spy rings (1/3/5), theoretically. Up to you if you want to place them. And the 2 Trade Routes (at 2 and 4).