Topic: Of Buildings

DM Juan
Site Admin

Re: Topic: Of Buildings

Post by DM Juan » Fri Apr 05, 2019 8:54 am

Cathedrals giving a +Level bonus on all agitates, and a free Agitate at level 3 or so, works too. In the vein of "saves an action" and "bonus to an action." While the idea of specific faith-based Cathedrals doing varying things is neat, dunno... I suppose Rhyel's would be you can Bless 1 more province per Cathedral Level, or you can give +1 more to Population Growth... or something.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:26 am

I had been thinking that might be difficult to keep straight for each faith, but I guess it actually wouldn't be. Not any more than the various effects of Blood Line Abilities.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

BB - Bronzebeard

Post by BB - Bronzebeard » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:46 am

I like the idea of Cathedrals of different faiths giving different abilities, especially since each religion gives different abilities. But also a big believer in the KISS principle.
Brom Bronzebeard

The Wizard Under the Mountain

DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas

Post by DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas » Fri Apr 05, 2019 9:48 am

I dislike the choosing between multi buildings. Its like a fighter priest can decide to train or make a cathedral, although he is earning no bonus by DP plus he chooses to raise by far slower also. Too many benefits for single class. Adds no flexibility for multi's
“No dimensions are closed to the ones in service of the Universal Law.”
Nur Hayati Corben-Talas

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:37 am

OH I don't know. I mean, I can see how having to choose one limits the flexibility, but you still have that flexibility to be able to choose. The penalties associated with Multi-classing are kind of well known though.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 11:02 am

1) If you want to do distinct abilities for each cathedral, it makes sense, IMHO, to root it in each faith's favoured sphere, so something related to Charm for Rhyel, Creation for Architect, War for Arawn, etc.

2) If we are being limited to holding level for levels of buildings, PCs aren't going to be able to build very many buildings in the tundra game, I think. With maybe 1 or 2 summers every 10 turns, building anything will come at a huge opportunity cost. Not sure how that shapes the conversation around building types, but I think it is good to keep in mind that there probably won't be very many buildings overall.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Fri Apr 05, 2019 12:03 pm

On a different topic, under a "consideration for adding to the list of buildings" what about either taverns or inns?

Seems like it would be a fun thing, with a bonus to counter espionage or possibly to adventuring actions. Say a total of +1 to rolls for actions taken in the province with the building, from an ease of gathering news and information.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 1:27 pm

I think multi-class characters being able to have specialized buildings of both classes doesn't just provide flexibility, it magnifies their potential power, and that's not appropriate. On the other hand, I don't think characters should be unable to build buildings that are not associated with their class, I just think they should be less useful if they don't match.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Fri Apr 05, 2019 6:26 pm

I partially agree, partially dont. Some things make sense, but others dont.

For instance I can see just about any type of character opening up guild holdings. From a mercenary company to those who are selling magical goods, and back again.

On the other hand, I can't see a knight building a shrine or cathedral. Nor can I really see a lot of clerics (though a few I could) building large training grounds.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:20 pm

Well, a paladin might want to build a shrine or a cathedral. I don't have a problem with exclusive buildings, and I don't have a problem with opening it up a bit either if building space is going to be very limited (except, perhaps, for mages, but an easy fix is to say that sources only count for building monoliths or other wizard buildings). I think exclusive buildings do a good job of encouraging cooperation, opening it up allows for more flexibility for concept (like, for example, if a fighter wanted to be a pirate and so wanted to be able to build boats well rather than train.)
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."