Topic: Of Buildings

HW - Halmond Westerly

Re: Topic: Of Buildings

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:33 pm

RS - Rogr Smith wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 pm
Or give a DC to any desired diplomacy (even if both players agree the populace and/or various people in the court may work to undermine it).

The more significant the diplomacy, the higher the DC.
That makes sense. Are the various important (behind the scenes) people relaying information for or against the possible diplomacy, and thus making nuisances of themselves, or such. I like it.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:27 pm

RS - Rogr Smith wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 8:30 pm
Or give a DC to any desired diplomacy (even if both players agree the populace and/or various people in the court may work to undermine it).

The more significant the diplomacy, the higher the DC.
I like that idea. You can include cross-ethnic and cross-racial penalties like for other actions (it's just easier to get people to accept working with other people like them), distance penalties, and penalties based on the scope of the treaty. Maybe penalties if it requires an investiture done by someone other than the state faith (so, if you're cutting a deal with someone from a different state faith, working across religious lines will also up the penalty).
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:43 pm

Liberally stolen (and slightly edited) from Regent Guide (Regent Guide v.3.5
Draft 2.20) --

1) Create or break a formal pact or agreement (a non-aggression pact for instance, or an agreement considering use of holdings for advantage vassalage). DC 10-20; the more involved the treaty the higher the DC.
2) Create or break an alliance. DC 15-25; the more involved the alliances the higher the DC, the closer relations the domains have the lower the DC.
3) Force concessions such as tribute or territory from another regent. DC 20+; the more outrageous the demands the higher the DC.
4) Respond to many events that deal with the court or your ability to rule your domain (such a feud between two noble houses, or a power struggle between factions within your clergy). DC 8-15.
5) Meet with lesser noble Houses/factions/organizations etc. (things not represented by holdings other than your own) within your own domain (regent action for you); possible effects relate to stability, province growth, prosperity etc. DC 8-15 or more.
Special: The action is assumed to involve the courts of both participating domains. For a diplomacy action to take effect, both sides need to succeed at their check (except when trying to force concessions; then the margin of success determines who gets their way). Since a single diplomacy action might well contain several issues, each issue must be treated separately.
Example: The peace treaty between Diemed and Medoere contains three issues; the issues of who will be regent for Medoere, the issue of how much tribute that vassal must give, and the distribution of law within Medoere. A separate DC must be made for each issue.
Last edited by MS - Meaghan Smith on Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:46 pm

Too complicated! But vaguely in the right direction.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:49 pm

AF - Areida Faderan wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 9:46 pm
Too complicated! But vaguely in the right direction.
Yes, it's incredibly complicated...
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

BB - Bronzebeard

Post by BB - Bronzebeard » Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:08 pm

I don't like the idea of players agree to something, use a diplomacy action to formalize it and a roll says they didn't really agree to what they agreed to.
Brom Bronzebeard

The Wizard Under the Mountain

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Wed Apr 10, 2019 2:17 am

Strikes me as Rollplay vs Roleplay.....The DM running an NPC may do something like that, but it doesn't work for players. Some of the best interaction and Roleplay comes from working on diplomacy.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Wed Apr 10, 2019 6:38 am

You still have to hash out your agreement with the other player, but it means it isn't guaranteed to get acted upon without some effort and expenditure of resources (ie political capital) by the regent.

Historically and currently, just because a leader wants to do something hasn't meant they could make it happen.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:13 am

In general a DC should be used when you interact with some NPC. When interacting with another regent I would be carefull to introduce DC to make a agreement. I dont think we should go to the lvl where we dont know if stuff will happen in our realms or not. Then you would have to make checks for all build and training projects as well. The recruits might run away. If I want a treaty agreement with my neigbours rolling a die reduces the roleplaying part imensly.

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Wed Apr 10, 2019 7:16 am

BB - Bronzebeard wrote:
Tue Apr 09, 2019 10:08 pm
I don't like the idea of players agree to something, use a diplomacy action to formalize it and a roll says they didn't really agree to what they agreed to.
King Henry of France says "Lets be friends with England!"
King William of England says "Lets be friends with France!"

Duke Orleans, who lost his firstborn son fighting England chats with the French diplomats and when they arrive in England they insult the English Queen.
Duke Cornwall really hates the french because frogs are disgusting. He hears about the insult and greatly exxagerates it and spreads rumors far and wide about the French. The English court is demanding war.

Oh, it was a DC10, and you rolled a 3. Sorry.
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist