Topic: Of Buildings

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Topic: Of Buildings

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:24 pm

If it's not possible to have multiple class buildings, the need for cooperation is still achieved (no one can have more than one class-specialized building) but flexibility is retained, someone can start over with a new buildings or build whatever they need. Or, if they don't need what they'd be expected to need, they can do whatever.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Fri Apr 05, 2019 7:49 pm

Hmmm. A reasonable compromise might be something along the lines of a character having to choose which kind of building they want to build when they become regent, with the options of whichever classes they've taken levels in. It would be with the still in place option of only being able to build to half the level of the class that they have chosen. They'd gain the flexibility you seem to be after, with the ability to possibly have very different building types being built, but retaining the same type of advantage that seems to apply to single class characters when just discussing characters.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:17 pm

My suggestion is a system based on class level and research where blueprints are required. Each building would be assigned a DC. The DC of higher building levels would go up. Each class level would grant +2 per level to the research roll. Upto 5 GB could be spent to hire an expert NPC to help lower the DC.

Anyway such a system could allow anyone willing to invest the effort a chance to build something.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:32 pm

Get iron. Make soldiers. Burn everyone’s buildings. Equality.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 05, 2019 10:35 pm

There'd be more tracking required and more hurdles to overcome, and the same effect could be achieved by re-purposing the NWPs that give a 1 GB discount to particular building types to be needed for constructing those buildings at all. (Though this could be a problem for the ones everyone might need sooner or later.)
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:01 am

But then you'd still have to deal with the issue of buildings only being buildable by certain classes, which I find appropriate. It's part of what makes those classes worthwhile.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:40 pm

Consolidating various building discussions:

Thoughts

Fighters chose between Shipyard and Training Grounds; only 1 and in their capital.

Guilds:
1. Resource Extraction (to be further developed); secondary resources required for advanced tech stuff
2. Custom House, Capital only: Bonus trade route at building 2 and 4 (ie, 2 extra max); Grant 1 free Espionage at Build 1, 3, 5 (can be done anywhere)

There are no Spy Rings?
----------------------

Priests:
1. Academy: Recruit higher level characters (as currently noted)/Children can go to for 4 years after adulthood, when recruited as a LT they are now Academy+1 level. Research Bonus equal to Academy level.
2. Cathedral - Free Agitate at level 2; +1 to agitate per Cathedral level; counts as Palace

General:
Library - Grants spells/level; no research bonus.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sat Apr 06, 2019 9:51 pm

Alternatively, we just say you can pick whatever "class" primary building you want as your primary building, and just build that. Secondary would be as per your actual class? Not sure...

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:01 pm

I like option 2 + option 1.

Allows for a merchant of Venice (custom house + shipyard) or Knight Templar (training grounds + custom house) or War King (Training Ground + Shipyard) or any other mix which makes each regent/theme more unique.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sat Apr 06, 2019 10:04 pm

Idk. I know some people disagree, but it makes sense to me that some coastal nations might have substandard navies. France, for instance, throughout the Napoleonic Wars, had rather poor naval projection despite it's large amounts of coast line. To reflect this type of possibility, I think the way things are with the class buildings is fine. I think the Custom's House is a good idea, as it puts guilders in a stronger position to be able to be useful / a strong consideration.

On the flip side, what's the point of a Library being in the general area, as only Casters can get a benefit from them.