The New Old Gods

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Re: The New Old Gods

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:13 pm

BC - Banon wrote:
Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:43 pm
I suspect that is because those players who designed their god at the time were playing those classes, so they were optimized for that purpose. - character level play last campaign. From a domain balance perspective this campaign however the balance comparison is very unfriendly.
The Architect's faith wound up the way it did because it had a very divided focus. It started out as a replacement faith for Avani/Ruornil, but added in a healthy dose of Haelyn and a bit of Cuiraecen too. It took on a strong anti-Shadow/anti-Undead and militarily-focused because of the events of the last game. It also started out racist-y because of the game before that, as Cariele was pretty racist (and that was because of the game before that, when the humans were dominated by a bunch of fire-worshipping halflings). So the game is the way it is now not just because of the game that proceeded it, but because of games we were playing back in 2013 and before.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Tue Jul 09, 2019 7:57 pm

I built Arawn to entice players who wanted to have personal power as well as be useful to a realm. With no level cap I wanted those three Wizard schools maxed out with the dream of wishes and clones etc. Didn’t have enough realm spell slots to double up for improved Bless without losing one of the other realm spells. And as he had never been part of undead use it didn’t seem to be something that would be part of his portfolio. And I wasn’t allowed to pick defection if I remember correctly.... probably because so many others had already picked it and Inhadnt included that school as Wizard anyway.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:05 pm

I really don't get the appeal of priests with wizard spells. Why not just play a wizard? Or a wizard/priest? The Spirited Way has some wizard spells too, but that's the part of the build I'm most doubtful about. Seems like those spells may as well just be cast by wizards.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

BB - Bronzebeard

Post by BB - Bronzebeard » Tue Jul 09, 2019 8:27 pm

Moradin's religion was designed by Brom, a Dwarven Priest/Wizard. So is generally built around his needs and concerns. The one thing I would have changed is the name. I shouldn't have gone with the D&D default dwarven god of Moradin. When Brom talked with people about Moradin, they immediately thought 'Dwarven God' and generally weren't interested in joining. While it's true the religion was designed around a mountain dwelling wizard/priest, if the religion had a different name, more people might have been interested.

While Moradin ended up as an intermediate god here and I also would not rate as the powerfulest, it's a reasonable choice. I hope it will have a respectful showing here, especially with one of it primary priests yet again being a Priest/Wizard.
Brom Bronzebeard

The Wizard Under the Mountain

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Wed Jul 10, 2019 8:22 am

A god of Magic you say?
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Wed Jul 10, 2019 2:41 pm

There are technically three gods of magic:

The Architect (Humanity, Creation, Protection, and Magic)
Moradin (Creation, Protection, and Magic)
Arawn (Tyrrany, Slavery, Conquest, and Magic)
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."