The New Old Gods

CSF - Flint

Re: The New Old Gods

Post by CSF - Flint » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:43 pm

I suspect that is because those players who designed their god at the time were playing those classes, so they were optimized for that purpose. - character level play last campaign. From a domain balance perspective this campaign however the balance comparison is very unfriendly.
Captain Shanol Flint

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:49 pm

I think it is fair to say, on a domain level, the top 3 are probably:

Rhyel:
Best Bless possible
Defection: A super powerful realm spell
Forest Source protection: very useful for Elves, for example, who can have full Rhyel temples without source loss, or really any wizard with access to a forest.
Tree Armies are powerful

Moradin is strong, but second place:
Better source protection (High and Low Mountains)
Academy bonus Research, and building
Weaker Bless (no guild+).
Roleplaying wise, more limited access to non-mountain people.

Corbin:
Access to best bless in game
Legion of Dead (an AWESOME realm spell)
Maintain Armies (pretty useful too)
Roleplaying a CE faith of cannibals is probably problematic

DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas

Post by DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:49 pm

But not all can bless guilds, I think of Rael and Corbin, not sure if anyone else. In any case, the religions were created by their players, not Juan, based on the level they could had..,)
“No dimensions are closed to the ones in service of the Universal Law.”
Nur Hayati Corben-Talas

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Tue Jul 09, 2019 2:56 pm

To an extent, yes.

I like that it means what happened and is done in one game, has a consequence on the next. You have the chance to build a god -- do you build one that is going to be able to draw on a number of groups, or isolates itself into a corner in the future.

Which is kind of how it should be, Architect faith was near overwhelming in the last game as far as how much they had spread, however the actions they took then helped form the opinions of the survivors (and who now tend to not speak well of Architect followers or Arawnites in many cases).

Of course, the other piece is the faiths in last game were all being developed and did not require anyone to be a priest per se to help guide/drive them.

And to be fair -- how many of the different priesthoods were truly played in most campaigns? Usually only a couple and those dependent on the region and peoples.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:02 pm

The Architect had the most priests, Rhyel faith was about the same size more or less. The Architect spread by assimilation and war, Rhyel by filling every minor niche and opening, and aligning with almost every faith in the game. I don't know that the Rhyelians had any actual enemies at all.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:33 pm

'Unique bonuses' that provide rules exceptions are a bit of a problem.

Something I've found worth noting is that none of the gods designed here have the 'wards' sphere, at all. That means there's a certain popular spell no priests of any known deity can cast.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:45 pm

Nesirie has wards

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Jul 09, 2019 4:55 pm

Oh, I thought I checked with a find-and-search... I guess that'll work, then.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Tue Jul 09, 2019 5:00 pm

I've got your zone of truth right here :)
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Tue Jul 09, 2019 6:07 pm

Priests who didn't spend the CP for all spells of a wizard school should not have been able to take a priest Realm Spell. If you don't have access all the way to 9th level spells you shouldn't have a wizard realm spell of that school. And if you spend for more than one school where you have max levels of spells you should get more than one wizard school realm spell choice.