Actions

DM Juan
Site Admin

Actions

Post by DM Juan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:37 pm

Create Holding:
Base Cost: 1GB (2GB for secret)
DC: 10+ (15+ for secret)
Modifiers: Law or Holding of same type can support or oppose. You can bid RP to increase or decrease success chances.
NB: You can generically oppose all attempts to create a Secret Holding with holding levels, but not bid RP against it.

> Should Law be able to influence sources at all? Should you be able to bid RP against secret holding creation/rule (maybe?)

RAID for Resources (to be written up)

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Actions

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:49 pm

Yes, I think law should still be able to contest sources. Sources being immune to occupation and pillaging is pretty good, and if they're automatically hidden holdings, that makes them very hard to dislodge. If only sources can contest sources, then there's no room for superstitious realms where all magic users are persecuted, which is a universal fantasy trope.

If RP bid against secret holdings is placed in a pool, the remaining size of which the owner can only guess at, I don't see why that wouldn't be allowed.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Tue Apr 02, 2019 12:51 pm

I would suggest "revealed" sources should be able to be helped or hindered by a law regent. Thus there's a motiva for a state wizard to make himself vulnerable to get the help. Law support on a realm rule can be hugely significant. How would a half-drunk sheriff and his 3 tax collector goons actually do anything to make it harder for secret wizard 2 to gather the magic of of a collection of rocks in a sacred grove they don't even know exists? I think law holdings can't interact in any way with hidden sources.
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

BS - Torpor

Post by BS - Torpor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:07 pm

I´d say hidden for start, but if the law regent spends the espionage, they should be able to contest it. Once you know, they can make life difficult for the wiz..

Maybe give it a -5 or something as a standard thou, if your not a sourceholder yourself.
Tor'por
"When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track,
With poison in my wine cup, and daggers at my back."
- Robert E. Howard

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:09 pm

Yeah, I think that is potentially more balanced. They are hidden, but anyone can technically find them (not just wizards). While hidden, no one other than other wizards can impact their attempts to create/rule sources.

So your paranoid anti-magic character just needs to get a spy-net set up to scan for sources every turn. ;)

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:10 pm

Wasn't there already a way to find sources, like you had to have a sourceholder reveal it to you?

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:12 pm

Yes. You had to have a source holder reveal it. But then you NEED a wizard to help you, AND you cannot even meddle in what they are doing... that seems too far the other way.

BS - Torpor

Post by BS - Torpor » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:14 pm

Suppose you could just remove the part about needing the help once you know, but you need a wiz to tell you

A wierd option would be to let law and temple do it if they work together;), for those anti-magic religions:)
Tor'por
"When I was a fighting-man, the kettle-drums they beat,
The people scattered gold-dust before my horses feet;
But now I am a great king, the people hound my track,
With poison in my wine cup, and daggers at my back."
- Robert E. Howard

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:17 pm

Maybe an adventure would be better then an espionage to find a source, DC= source level

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Tue Apr 02, 2019 1:21 pm

Source holdings still have people associated with them. Apprentices, foresters, herbalists, et cetera. Someone's got to collect all the newt eyes. I think espionage is appropriate. It's not feasible for a wizard to maintain their domain singlehandedly. A revealed source holding is just one where these people talk about their jobs at the tavern instead of donning hooded robes and shuffling off into the woods for occult rituals every weekend.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."