New Wizard and Priest Realm Spells

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Re: New Wizard and Priest Realm Spells

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:11 pm

I want the transport province Spell. I do not like this neighborhood. FOOMP! Now I’m 8 provinces to the west.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:25 pm

Probably easier to just cast a spell to separate the province from the ground, so it can fly around in the sky as an island and blot out of the sun over your enemies, though.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sun Apr 07, 2019 11:44 pm

I didn’t want to be overpowered.

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Mon Apr 08, 2019 12:05 am

Like the black fortress in Krull.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Mon Apr 08, 2019 9:33 am

Just Ideas than can be run with, not much consideration for desirability or balance at this point.

Summons:
Natures ally - Animals units of Levy or Irregular Strength, with bonus based on terrains, a way to get nautical units
Elementals - Strong summoned units with single significant weakness, and a chance to run amok if control is broken.
Heroes - Similar to summon undead but less evil, something along the lines of Draugr or fallen of valhalla, Less tough but maybe no corpse requirement
Dragons? -
Shadows - Fast, destructive, ignores terrain & fortification, Very susceptible to Destroy results from magic or light.

Transport
Summon Ally / Word of Recall - Unit may be teleported instantly to casting province, at will of unit or caster. Used to avoid a Destroy results, or make unit available from elsewhere on plane (or planes?). Duration until used, CL years, or recast.
Flying fortress - Small fortifications or buildings (level 1) can be moved to a neighboring province. Possibly grant immunity vs mundane armies attempt to raze that season.

Weather Spells
Suns Warmth / Winds Chill - target Province or target units, roll twice for Attrition due to weather using the Best/Worst Result
Bountiful Harvests - Grain requirements met for granaries, Counters some plague/destruction spells, small bonus to settle province (not rule? not stackable with pop growth)

Alterations
Wood to Stone (etc), Greater Alchemy - Target province produces alternate resources for Duration. At high caster level both? or GBs?
Wood Rot - Target building is disabled, and suffers 1d4+1/CL damage in GB construction. If reduced to 0, requires build per rules.

Wards
Alarum - Gain similar benefits of a watchtower or scout to a province, Gain a bonus vs Espionage such as theft, Counter initiative bonus from assassination.

Charms
Inspired Heroics - Levies muster in province are treated at irregulars

Illusion:
Straw Army - Animated effigies appear to be desired army unit to scouting. War Card stat all 0s. Immune to range combat and magic, Automatically destroyed on melee engagement. Dispelled by fire.
Hollow Success - Target Regent & Provinces Generate income as improved bless for first season, with loyalty drop & negative bless in effect season after duration. (negative effect are non magical and cannot be dispelled, but can be countered with bless)

Unique Spells Requiring greater research or plot based material components:
Enchant / Imbue Artifact - Create an artifact or magic item. Adventure rewards<Domain Creation level<DMG quality : Requiring unique research and compponents for each individual item.
Lichdom - Become undead with powerful abilities while maintaining your bloodline and domain, at the cost of gaining XP. (may require creation of phylactery per above suggestion.
Fountain of Youth / Wisdom - individual Gain the benefits of changing one age category lower/higher without penalties.
Summon/Become Avatar - Gain the presence / Level & abilities of chosen God. Guaranteed to fail or have consequence if not used correctly in Deities View.
Ascension - Gain access to a deity domain, and the chance to steal a Portfolio or assassinate the god to seize their divinity.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:16 am

Tsunami. In the first action round, ships can't enter or leave target province(s). In the second action round, they 1d3 hits of damage, and unprotected buildings may be destroyed. In the third round, any surviving units are forced to leave the province. (Would have to be very difficult to cast, though.)

Or at a lower level... River Flow. Makes adjacent major river navigable in only one direction for the duration, or as a variant, difficult to navigate in both directions, with a risk of running aground.

Blank Slate. For one turn it becomes impossible to inscribe information of any sort in the target province. May interfere with some actions, and for a literate culture, has the effect of an Intrigue event. If the spell is countered, it backfires, and all text is erased in the caster's vicinity, instead...

Double Time. An extra turn takes place in the target province. Only those (and all those) with holdings or armies in the province may act in this extra turn, but may only use these bonus actions if they don't affect any other provinces. Has the same effect on collections as Bless Land, and can't be combined with it. Results in rapid aging (including for the caster), so if the caster is the province ruler, loyalty drops, unless the population is elven. Using it more than once in four turns reduces the province level by one. Each casting also has the effect of a Poison Source spell on the source used to cast.

The reverse, Halt Time, appears to freeze a province, making it impossible for anyone to act there for the duration. Armies can move through it normally. From the perspective of its inhabitants, though, it's the rest of the world that was frozen. No effect on collections or expenses, but unless the caster is inside the province, it's effectively in held stasis for the duration. If the caster is inside the province, they can act in it unimpeded, but can't take action anywhere else until the spell has expired.

Quick Time. Grants one bonus action to the caster, which may only be used in the target province. Since casting the spell takes an action, this is useful only when the caster wants to guarantee they'll act last in current turn, or first the turn after.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:27 am

Also, a proposed revision to how researching realm spells works: The caster can learn caster level source levels of spells in one action. So a level 3 wizard could learn 3 source 1 spells, or one source 3 spell, or take two actions to learn a source 6 spell. A level 16 wizard could add two source 5 and one source 6 spell to their book in one action, or learn a broad array of simpler realm magic.

This would make high-level wizards much more versatile, and able to copy the spellbooks of others with relative ease, but low level ones would still struggle. It would also give them a reason to learn spells they'd otherwise never seek out, just to fill up leftover slots. Only one research roll would be used, but the % chance to learn spell would still apply for each spell.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:28 am

The strongest units should be evil and shadow-aligned, so there is a temptation to succumb to the Shadow's gifts. Because of that, there shouldn't be any spells that create "better" units than undead and other shadow-spawn, and creating undead should be considered an evil act.

Because of that, I sort of like the idea of draugr -- Nesireans imagine their undead as "honored dead", but I think it would make sense if their undead were weaker draugr than the undead produced by Corbin's clergy. For one, Corbin is the God of the Undead, so it would just make sense that his priests make better monsters. However, I also think it makes sense because he embraces the negative energy of the Shadow while the Nesireans are trying to thread a needle through the Shadow to whatever heaven their dead are going to beyond. Corbin spends more of his magical energy beefing up the monsters he creates here, whereas the Nesireans spend comparatively more energy protecting the souls of their dead from the corrupting energies of the Shadow and keeping a door open so they can go home afterwards. That extra energy given costs their undead power to work with in the material world.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:39 am

AF - Areida Faderan wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 9:59 pm
Is that what you think this comes down to? You think you've won the argument already, so you don't have to play by the rules? That's not how this works.

Intimidation isn't a sensible way to discourage someone from complaining about dishonest arguments.

I would guess this heat is the reason why Juan hasn't allowed new spells to be researched before. I expect him to be cautious about introducing any, and especially about how he lets players be involved in creating them, because there's so much anxiety from the players surrounding them.

In the end it's his decision where he wants the game to go. I'm very sure he does not want to see spell research be a major focus and I'm glad of that.
You're ignorant. That's not intimidation, that's stating a fact. An assertion. Intimidation tactics would be along the lines of "You wouldn't want your ignorance broadcast for all to see, now would you?" Can you grasp the difference? If not, then by all means, bugger off, as this game is too complex for you. Additionally, your inability to grasp that someone disagrees with you does not mean an argument has been won. You having a different opinion simply doesn't mean that you've won. It's a two way street. You're on the wrong side of the street.

The heat has nothing to do with the game mechanics. It has everything to do with a shitbird not being able, or willing if you are able, to stop making things personal. To stop assuming that the heat is because you disagreed with me. People disagree with me all the time. It's called Life. Get the fuck over it. The heat is because you cannot leave personal remarks out of it. That sucks old, hairy, wrinkly, sweaty, man balls for everyone else, but just because I dislike having personal confrontations does not, in any measure, indicate that I will shy away from them when they are pressed. As you have done.

You want to talk about not having an honest conversation? Then how about the fact that your making personal remarks about other people? That has absolutely no place in an intellectually honest conversation, but then the hypocrisy of you not only making personal remarks (which is dishonest) but then trying to say that because someone disagrees with you that they must be dishonest? Gimme a freaking break here kid. We aren't in elementary school. The whole "I'm rubber and your glue" shtick is as old and immature as it gets. Grow up. And while you're at it, stop making personal remarks about people, so that more than just YOU get to enjoy a game without undue stress.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Mon Apr 08, 2019 10:40 am

Iceberg Armada. Creates a temporary 'fleet', maximum number of 'ships' equal to caster level. The quality of these 'ships' is terrible--each is like a coaster, but 3 move and 1 unit capacity. Still, they at least can transport units overseas. They melt at the end of the turn. Can't be cast if the air temperature is above freezing.