War Rules

MS - Meaghan Smith

Re: War Rules

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:39 pm

I just like the version where the wizard flies high above (out of bowshot) and daily does a bunch of pebble to boulders....
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:41 pm

Invisible servants run in carrying barrels of gunpowder on a fuse.

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:47 pm

And with the proliferation of the gobli--er new ?elves? I'm thinking Warcraft for some reason....

:)
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:49 pm

Spellcasters would be pretty good at ending sieges, for sure...

Unseen Servant ends when it goes more than 30' from the caster, so the wizard would have to be invisible, too! And very... brave.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:56 pm

The point is there is no end to the ways spells could be used to fuck up an army if we don’t keep them as a set bonus. Unless you non mages are fine with all the surprises in store if we go this way. I’m all for it. I just foresee a lot of “what the fucks!” And another 20 pages next game about fixing spells use.

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:58 pm

I feel that undead are way overpowered without priests that can turn.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:08 pm

Right, my point is that there's also no end to the way individual spellcasters can get destroyed in moments if they're <...brave?> enough to attempt to confront and overcome hundreds (or thousands!) of intelligent foes at the same time. I think they should be able to perform miracles, but I also think it's no less likely for them to 'miraculously' be defeated by factors they failed to take into account. Surprise tactics cut both ways, and the most successful armies in the long term ought to be those with reliable tactics. Those who rely on tricks ought to hope they don't fight enough to run out of them.

Regardless, I also think it needs to be kept abstract, because we're not playing Yu-Gi-Oh here.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:14 pm

KA - Kragen Atorin wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 3:58 pm
I feel that undead are way overpowered without priests that can turn.
Most of the religions can turn undead. At least one commands them. Very few have no influence (can't turn or command) them.

If it's about the war units, they're not cheap and require corpse units to be on hand/stored. Summoning provides similar strength units without the whole 'negative' connotation.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

JB - Jana Boulderbrew
King

Post by JB - Jana Boulderbrew » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:18 pm

One of the battle magic spells is turn dead... against undead units.
"Success is measured in blood, yours or your enemies."

DK - Duergan King

Post by DK - Duergan King » Fri Apr 12, 2019 4:19 pm

I liked the take that you need to research battle spells and if you don't want sharp pointy things sticking out of your chest you need a unit of soldiers trained to help and protect the wizard/priest.

The wizard/priest there for needs to spend time researching spells and the money and time that requires. They have to pay the costs of the spells and if they don't want a high risk of stabby stabby death they need to pay/train/hire a more expensive unit of troops.