War Rules

CBC - Garand

Re: War Rules

Post by CBC - Garand » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:34 pm

EF - Ethak Farsight wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:33 pm
The Staff I feel powerful enough to smack over peoples' heads.
I feel like Rafiki from the Lion King.
Kaigan: Before the ancient flame..
"We grieve."
Kaigan: At this loss..
"We weep."
Kaigan: For the fallen..
"We shout."
Kaigan: And for ourselves..
"We take our leave."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:36 pm

Hmmm maybe I sell my settlers for some items someone can’t use...

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:39 pm

AF - Areida Faderan wrote:
Sun Apr 14, 2019 4:48 pm
In Fuedal Japan, their weapons systems were optimized for killing peasants, not other members of the warrior class. In medieval Europe, this was less true, but the importance of heavy cavalry still gives the lie to the idea that personal combat skill was a higher virtue than money and formation fighting.

Keep in mind that it helped these people and their descendants to perpetuate the myth that their superior skill and ability was what gave them victory, and that they were in a position to decide which stories got told and which didn't. I think the peasants deserve more credit for their patented 'fall down after one blow that didn't even injure them, and then play dead until the battle is over' technique.
Yeah, I think you forget that most of human history is not summed up in Feudal Japan or in Medieval Europe. In fact, those periods are relatively small and concise periods of time.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Apr 14, 2019 5:44 pm

...That's because those are two periods where duels were even widely reported. For most of history people didn't even joke about personal combat in warfare, they were too busy marching in squares. You have to get back to civilizations that didn't have written history to find many examples of cultures where personal combat dominated, and even among those meeting this description there's good odds the terrain was too open, or available weapons were too unreliable for it to be practical.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

SG - Sigrun Godefroy

Post by SG - Sigrun Godefroy » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:42 am

siege equipment can be used in battles now right? but will there be a difference between anti infantry and anti castle siege equipment?

like grape shot or hwacha would be great anti infantry, but a normal cannon shot or trebuchete would be better against castles
Sigrun Godefroy warrior of Hircine

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:47 am

Currently there are generic artillery units that are pretty good in war and important for sieges. They are abstract. Gunpowder units later could potentially specialize more.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Sun Apr 21, 2019 9:48 am

The unit is 'artillerists', so it doesn't seem to represent any particular siege weapons, just a unit of siege engineers and operators (who can presumably build whatever engines they need).
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:06 am

Exactly. Ballista, catapult... Catapults could be repurposed for anti infantry and were... It isnt like only cannons could...

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:31 am

I always wanted to introduce siege towers to Birthright. They don't do damage, but negate the first round of damage from all range attacks.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

CIC - Duke Cicero

Post by CIC - Duke Cicero » Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:49 am

HW - Halmond Westerly wrote:
Sun Apr 21, 2019 11:31 am
I always wanted to introduce siege towers to Birthright. They don't do damage, but negate the first round of damage from all range attacks.
Or you could introduce Birthright to siege towers and they'd just sit around playing and wait out the siege.
Duke Cicero
Mayor of Salviene

A man so deep, he's almost unfathomable!
A man so quick, he's even fast asleep!