War Rules

DM Juan
Site Admin

War Rules

Post by DM Juan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:58 am

Pretty major changes to warfare if/as using the BirBattle Java Applet.

Obviously no levels of war... also it incorporates battle magic in programming so maybe add that back. Or I will see how easy it is to simulate adventure level instead.

It would severely de emphasis rogues as useful in war, titling towards magic users.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: War Rules

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:25 pm

As long as it's coherent, I'm not going to complain about the balance changes. What's the part that makes rogues less useful, though? Will they be able to use swashbuckling moves in naval combat, instead?
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:26 pm

If it means we can more easily handle world wars, go for it.

Are battle spells a thing vs just casting Phantasmal Force for an F result or Fireball for an R?

A lot of the racial DC for terrain mods were balanced against the units that race gets.

Also, at this stage of the game, I don't really see a difference between Anuirean and Brecht, for example. We should stick with generic, underpowered units for everyone, and races that get good DC's to rule provinces should continue to have worse units.
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:40 pm

They are like... heal unit ... stone skin unit... cost 1GB I think per spell... will check later. I assume it would involve researching access to all of them as well.

Racial units in core rules are better for elves/dwarves and worse for gnolls and goblins anyway.

Rogues are pretty useless in core war because fighter level also matters, battle spells are good... rogues kind of do nothing.

Will post spells from PC here later.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:42 pm

If knowing is half the battle, at least rogues can be pretty good at that part.

CBC - Garand

Post by CBC - Garand » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:44 pm

Well, sounds like Gnolls and Goblins need an upgrade then. :)
Kaigan: Before the ancient flame..
"We grieve."
Kaigan: At this loss..
"We weep."
Kaigan: For the fallen..
"We shout."
Kaigan: And for ourselves..
"We take our leave."

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Fri Apr 12, 2019 12:46 pm

The adventurer war card, did not care what class a player was. It definitely had an impact in battles. It did not care about character level either, so may not be the ideal way to simulate character impact on a battlefield.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:15 pm

The adventurer war card represented a party of adventurers, or perhaps multiple parties of adventurers. Not some x level something.

Phantasmal Force, any magician or wizard could cast this at level 1 with no research under the war rules.

Battle spells was something different, and really hard to research. Like you could research Rain of Magic Missiles, DC20, and that would do 1 hit on a unit and be a battle spell. This was all from the Book of Magecraft, one of the few I don't have a PDF of, but can browse on scribd.

The idea then, is a wizard has
1. Wizard/Priest Spells. These can be used in battle and some can cause F, R, or D results, or have other impacts
2. Battle Spells: Special researchable versions of the spells above(1) that would be more powerful.
3. Realm Spells: Not cast for a specific battle generally, but why the hell use Mass Destruction when an 11th level wizard can just drop 5 fireballs on the fight for free?
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:31 pm

Tying spell use to source level would help to mitigate this.

If you show up to a battle and have no or a low-level source, the spells you can use are none or extremely limited.

This would also work to make people seriously consider invading the 'Magewood,' known for its powerful sorcerer able to almost single-handedly decimate a unit.

As an aside, allowing spells outside of researched Battle Spells or Realm Spells to impact military actions is likely to be unbalancing and one of the things I liked best about the old war system.

Allowing researched Battle Spells can be kept balanced (most likely) and then makes those libraries all the more appealing and valuable (especially if the DC for the Battle Spell research is something like 10 + 2x effective level --- so magic missile battle spell would be DC 12, a fireball spell would be DC 16, while a cloudkill variant would be DC 20).
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:36 pm

I'm pretty sure Mass Destruction does a lot more damage than five fireballs. Seems to me the fireballs wouldn't be able to destroy more than one unit, since units have hundreds of soldiers in them. In regular play, fireballs aren't used to kill more than around 30 enemies at a time, at most. Plus, fireballs have short range, a wizard who gets close enough to cast it directly on the enemy is almost in melee by battlefield standards.