King

Re: War Rules

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:18 pm

LA - Leira Annu wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 8:59 pm
DM Juan wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 6:08 pm
Forester has no control over undead.
Shapeshift into a bear and rip the undead to shreds?
Plan worked great!

WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

CI - Charrek Ironfist

Post by CI - Charrek Ironfist » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:39 pm

OMG, I wish I had a like button on these forums...
Lord Mayor Charrek Ironfist | Charrek.Ironfist@mail.com
Stormpriestess Khalia Ironfist

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:07 pm

LA - Leira Annu wrote:
Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:39 pm
OMG, I wish I had a like button on these forums...
+1
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:56 am

I would be carefull about changing to much in the battles. Wont it take a lot of time and manual handling from Juan with all the spells that can be cast? A lot of the players dont know the magic rules enough to know what they will be up against. I dont like the idea that before the battle starts your best unit or units are gone from spells. One thing is that Magic can enhance some units or heal but turning each battle into an adventure where you have to write down a tonn of continguencies is in my oppinion not a good idea.

DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas

Post by DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas » Sat Apr 13, 2019 3:34 am

I think abstractions works better than battle spells, one of the complain was battles were too burdensome
“No dimensions are closed to the ones in service of the Universal Law.”
Nur Hayati Corben-Talas

SG - Sigrun Godefroy

Post by SG - Sigrun Godefroy » Sat Apr 13, 2019 7:00 am

there can't be any undead skeletons or zombies if there are no corpses to turn into undead.

I think instead of possibly all these contingencies, you could have a caster rol to see how they effect the battle on a personal level, could do the same for other heroes so to speak, or could do like a spellcraft roll to see how you effect the combat, similar to how a warrior could use like a tactic or siege roll to effect a battle
Sigrun Godefroy warrior of Hircine

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:05 am

There'd be no contingencies, or manual spell casting. You'd say:

Round 1: Fireball
Round 2: Rain of Magic Missiles
Round 3: Stoneskin Unit
Round 4: Fireball
Round 5: Fly Unit

And I would enter that, it would go through the rounds, and that'd be that.

I am probably indifferent to Priests using Battle Magic (Arcane), because that means they are not using the Divine ones instead. It's largely irrelevant. Only a PC or LT can participate in battles, so there wouldn't be a truckload of Level 1 Priests fighting.

I will also probably impose a cost of attending war for Priests/Wizards (GB or RP), for all the material costs of casting all those powerful battle magics.

I have a hiccup adding in units (as in, it won't recognize them), but I think I can cheat it a bit, by eg: All those Magian units become DC adventures, and I change their stats...

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:28 am

So how do envision a battle between an 8th level Fighter and 5 infantry being attacked by and 8th level wizard and 5 irregulars?

Fighters plan: 100% of all effort towards moving to and killing the wizard. This includes fighter character specifically.

Wizards Plan: Cloud kill, Wall of Fire, Fireballx3, Rain of Magic Missles x4, Withrdraw.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:39 am

Okay, so I've kept out of this for the most part, but I've been mulling this over. Juan has said it would be possible to add another unit. Why not a Priest or Wizard unit, as a Unit? You could make it where they have to function like a unit, but they can have spells slotted. This would give the Divine and Arcane PC's and LT's something that they could do well in battle, as well as help balance things.

Make it where they have a select number of spells that they can cast per level (not how many that they are going to be able to cast, just a number of choices), and have them select the ones they one the way that Juan is saying. That will help streamline their integration as a unit. Give them a range the same way that archers do, and give them restrictions for recruitment the way some of the other units do. In this case, a building restriction or minimum source holding, etc.

Personally, I like the idea of having to have a Library lvl 2 at the very least, as a somewhat RP idea of needing enough available knowledge and enough interest in that knowledge, before you can recruit caster units, but that's just me.
Last edited by HW - Halmond Westerly on Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Sat Apr 13, 2019 8:40 am

Do we have a list of what the different battle spells will do?