Things to do?

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Re: Things to do?

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:09 pm

;) Lets hope no battles will be carried out in the mountains so Juan wont need to think about that ;)

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:09 pm

I like that idea of forts being able to grant extra units for attrition purposes. I also liked the idea of them giving modifiers in battle, but I'm not sure how that would square with the fact that you can't assault fortifications without siege equipment. If I remember the original way I learned (which I admit does not necessarily seem to be the original rules) I think fortifications gave a bonus to defense vs ranged attacks?
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:11 pm

Siegecraft NWP allows assault without artillerists. Otherwise you need to lay siege until the fortification erodes.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:15 pm

Yup. Forts vastly slow down attacks. They lock down attackers too. You cannot move ANY units past, except those above Fort+Garrison units. You need Siegecraft NWP (opposed check if using it) or artillery to assault the position.

Actually... I suppose... a work around... is to... add "Castle" unit. Some sort of missile support unit.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:16 pm

From the Siegecraft NWP:
'Normally, castles are invulnerable to direct attack during the domain turn unless a company of artillerists is detailed to lead the attack. A character with the siegecraft proficiency counts as a unit of artillerists when he accompanies an army. On a successful proficiency check, he can lead them in an assault against a castle; the castle's rating (see Part II) is a negative modifier to the character's check.'

This would make it so no battle can be forced to take place in a fortified province except under specific circumstances, so instead of changing the outcome of the battle, they alter the course of the war. I like that...
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:17 pm

Good point on the -castle level to your check part. I forgot about that.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:20 pm

AF - Areida Faderan wrote:
Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:16 pm
From the Siegecraft NWP:
'Normally, castles are invulnerable to direct attack during the domain turn unless a company of artillerists is detailed to lead the attack. A character with the siegecraft proficiency counts as a unit of artillerists when he accompanies an army. On a successful proficiency check, he can lead them in an assault against a castle; the castle's rating (see Part II) is a negative modifier to the character's check.'

This would make it so no battle can be forced to take place in a fortified province except under specific circumstances, so instead of changing the outcome of the battle, they alter the course of the war. I like that...
I actually like that too. You can't fight unless the defenders sally, or the castle "erodes" (ie. you starve them out). You just have to sit there and wait. Though, I do think they should have some sort of "Castle" unit for defensive purposes if attackers do decide to assault a castle. One reason why seiges were so common was that assaults were hideously dangerous, so castle units should be pretty boss (and artillary units -- but not people with seigecraft -- could be given a big bonus vs castle units a la pike-men and cavalry.)
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:21 pm

Wizard PCs should have a greater impact than other classes and scale up at higher levels. If the dwarves' +1 in mountains was important enough to fix then it seems a wizards AOE spells should have a fix. Not even talking about Battle Spells either.

1st Level
Grease
Phantasmal Force
Sleep
Wall of Fog

Second-Level
Darkness 15' Radius
Flaming Sphere
Fog Cloud
Hypnotic Pattern
Improved Phantasmal Force
Scare
Stinking Cloud
Summon Swarm
Web

Third-Level
Fireball
Invisibility, 10' Radius
Lightning Bolt
Spectral Force
Wind Wall

That's just the obvious spells and only up to a 5th level mage's possibilities while the others are attacking once a round still. At higher levels the wizard is even more useful than the other classes. Should be several special units for a wizard. Clerics should be a little better than Fighters or Rogue types when they get Flamestrikes and Blade Barriers but a Wizard starts at 1st level and just gets better from there and has a lot more spells that effect AOE. Maybe 5 different unit types for wizards where it scales up every 2 levels or so with it delivering more and more hits as you get to Cloudkills and Rock to Mud etc.

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:31 pm

In theory, you could do that by having four different DC-type units, for war checks done by fighters/clerics/mages/thieves, with different sets of stats. Mages could be high attack, high range, low defense, low hits -- the classic glass cannons. Fighters could be the baseline that was created already, and rogues/priests could be similar to fighters but with lower attack stats and higher defense/hits (priest) or mobility (rogue).
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Thu Apr 18, 2019 3:36 pm

As it stands, likely to say if your "DC Unit" dies in the battle, you have a CON check. If you survive the CON check, you then have a CHA check to see if you are captured/ransomed by the other side, or if you escape. Something like that. So could make wizards do "more damage" (other than just already giving them a bonus to war EPL or something), but have less hits...