Things to do?

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Re: Things to do?

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:19 pm

Okay, maybe you didn't. I avoided the mercenary option for role-playing reasons (elves have no interest in working as mercenaries) and I only did adventures to explore or avoid regency loss. I didn't raid or steal, even though my capital was adjacent to Dhoesone's and 'Camlann' was right there for the sacking, because by the time they were available on turn 11, it wasn't a worthwhile use of actions. The risks were too great and the returns had no way to compound themselves.
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:25 pm

Easiest thing is you raid a province if it has defenders they can defend or decide not to defend (maybe they know they dont have enough to stop the raid and dont want to lose the unit) If the raid is successful you tax the province at normal level with a guarantee of at least 1 GB with a loyalty drop on the province per each successful raid in a turn. Neither the province nor any holders lose the GB. No loot can be gained once the province goes into rebellion so max number of raids would be 3. The province regents are hurt enough by the loyalty losses and possible rebellion so no need to take GB from them as well and that stops a shitload of DM upkeep.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:25 pm

RS - Rogr Smith wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:14 pm
It's false logic to say you have 10 GBs now at game start in a crap province, therefore later when you have more provinces I can still get 10 GBs out of your crap province.
This argument is worthless because the rules make it impossible to get 10 GB out of a level 1 province anyway, and it'll likely be much less. Also, divided between the province holder, law holder, guild holder, and temple holder, so it's not 0 to 6 GB coming from the province per se.

MS - Meaghan Smith

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:36 pm

AF - Areida Faderan wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:19 pm
Okay, maybe you didn't. I avoided the mercenary option for role-playing reasons (elves have no interest in working as mercenaries) and I only did adventures to explore or avoid regency loss. I didn't raid or steal, even though my capital was adjacent to Dhoesone's and 'Camlann' was right there for the sacking, because by the time they were available on turn 11, it wasn't a worthwhile use of actions. The risks were too great and the returns had no way to compound themselves.
Camlann is a perfect example of why you shouldn't get anything more than severe taxation or so out of a province. Isolated and never invested in, there was no way there would be anything to even make it worth raiding.
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Lot of pride in that province.... I was super proud I took it and super proud you didn't give it to her.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:38 pm

Let us also not forget that while it may be a break even proposition, it definitely is not a break even proposition for whoever is getting raided.

But, as pointed out, it is also very much *not* a pillaging action. You're not getting everything, it's a smash and grab, and them get the heck out before people show up and kill you. Yeah, people got rich raiding each other, but that's not really the norm.
Further, I'd we are keeping it aligned with a level of "this isn't worth a war over to most people" then the idea of being able to take everything just does not make sense.
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:39 pm

You could have raided a lot of pride out of it.

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:58 pm

And it wasn't worth raiding. 0 to 6 GB wasn't worth it.

I think it was a prime example of a target for raiding. Vulnerable and exposed.

(Also, if it hadn't been invested in, it wouldn't have been level 1 with level 1 holdings...)

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:00 pm

HW - Halmond Westerly wrote:
Fri Apr 19, 2019 2:38 pm
Let us also not forget that while it may be a break even proposition, it definitely is not a break even proposition for whoever is getting raided.

But, as pointed out, it is also very much *not* a pillaging action. You're not getting everything, it's a smash and grab, and them get the heck out before people show up and kill you. Yeah, people got rich raiding each other, but that's not really the norm.
Further, I'd we are keeping it aligned with a level of "this isn't worth a war over to most people" then the idea of being able to take everything just does not make sense.
It's a matter of scale. The amount is the same whether it's everything or virtually nothing. For a realm with 10,000 provinces, one of them getting occupied by an enemy isn't worth a war.

I think that's why the Imperium in WH40K keeps blowing up its own planets.

HW - Halmond Westerly

Post by HW - Halmond Westerly » Fri Apr 19, 2019 3:28 pm

It is a matter of scale, you're right. And, it is also agreed that a small pin prick isnt worth a war. Generally. On the other hand, sometimes what breaks the camels back...
We few, we happy few, we band of brothers. For he to-day that sheds his blood with me shall be my brother; be he ne'er so vile,
this day shall gentle his condition.