Questions

MS - Meaghan Smith

Re: Questions

Post by MS - Meaghan Smith » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:41 pm

I've got wood for sheep!
Meaghan 'the Smith'

Baroness-Elector of Graven, Countess of Gravendale, Merchant-Princess of the Graven Trading Federated Order

"What has been built cannot be destroyed, save by those without vision, heart, or inspiration."

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm

So resources are units that can be raided... How about this scenario. I am a guilder with access to all resources. Everyone along those trade routes has built max level buildings or for some other reason aren't using the resources. Can I sell these resources to someone else who might need them? Can I stockpile them to be used in case a trade route is disrupted?

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:52 pm

AA - Albion Arawnson wrote:
Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:47 pm
So resources are units that can be raided... How about this scenario. I am a guilder with access to all resources. Everyone along those trade routes has built max level buildings or for some other reason aren't using the resources. Can I sell these resources to someone else who might need them? Can I stockpile them to be used in case a trade route is disrupted?
Maybe guilds stockpile like granaries, or introduce a stockpile building for that exact purpose?
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:56 pm

Granaries store one turn/level of grain. Other buildings might be able to do something similar.

The only way to convey resources beyond one trade link is trade chains. Unless those trade chains are yours, and you can extend them, or you have an open slot and can create a new trade route, there's no way to move those resources further without a domain action to raid. Possibly, you could just 'allow' someone to 'raid' your province, through diplomacy, taking the resource so you don't have it and they do. If that's simple enough it might not cost an action. I don't know what kind of negative impact that might have on you besides losing the resource, though losing loyalty seems reasonable...
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

CIC - Duke Cicero

Post by CIC - Duke Cicero » Wed Apr 17, 2019 2:58 pm

This creates a bit of weirdness for me. Military units can transport resources from a hostile province into yours but can't be assigned to do the same thing between friendly provinces, essentially being a trade route.

Can you raid for resources from an unclaimed province?

Can the raided resources be used in any of your provinces or only the one the raiding units originated from? If the former, they're again acting like a trade route.
Duke Cicero
Mayor of Salviene

A man so deep, he's almost unfathomable!
A man so quick, he's even fast asleep!

AaH - Avicerra al Hamam
King

Post by AaH - Avicerra al Hamam » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:03 pm

If you can stockpile the resources trade routes will not be needed to send resources to provinces as most people won't use resources each turn. I think we are making it to complicate for us.

How much gold can you then make in a single raid action if you get multiple resources if you roll high? The award compared to the possible loss are way to high I think

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Well... a trade route is... way better? It generates GB, it permanently transfers resources back/forth.
I suppose you could... "RAID" yourself. I mean... it is kind of silly, but I suppose from a resource perspective - trade 1 step drop in loyalty and an action to have stone+wood somewhere... ... ... for a building. It isn't the worst idea, really.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:05 pm

Success gets you 1GB + 1GB per 5 you succeed by per raiding unit. GB's are stolen from all province/holdings equally with excess theft allocated to Province>Guild>Temple>Law (i.e. 6 GB is stolen, each type of holding loses 1GB (total 4GB) and then the excess is allocated to Province and Guild).

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:06 pm

I think that the the GBs are generated from specifically not stockpiling resources. Perhaps one could forgo the GB profit from trade to gain 1 resource unit /2 GB generated by that trade route.

I know DP resources, or those from disbanding your ship on turn 1 cannot be granted.

If that is not the same for raided/stockpiled resources it might create another economy for trades between regents.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Wed Apr 17, 2019 3:09 pm

I think the best solution is 'yes, you can use your military to transport resources within your domain, but it's terribly inefficient'. 1 GB for the action, every turn, even if no damage is done, plus at least twice the cost of the travel.

The main reason raids work is because someone else is forced to pay for it, including the waste. The main reason trading works is because without it, both parties would be wasting their resources. Here, there's no profit and the expense can't be pushed onto another regent, so it would only make sense if the regent, for some reason, thought autocannibalism was a good strategy.

I assumed the raid only brought resources back to one province, which would in almost all cases be the raiders' capital (since that's normally where everything's built).
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."