Bidding against Hidden Holding Creation/Rule

CSF - Flint

Re: Bidding against Hidden Holding Creation/Rule

Post by CSF - Flint » Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:18 am

Is trusting each other not to metagame on the table?
Captain Shanol Flint

YK - Yuri Khavlor
King

Post by YK - Yuri Khavlor » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:07 am

TA - Niall Cole wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:18 am
I hope so, It makes the difference between a role playing game and a board game. I know I have acted against my characters interests in the past because it is what my character would believe.

Even so, I know I have screwed up an acted with knowledge of secret holdings in the past, usually sources. I don't think it negatively impacted the other player, but if it did, I would expect some sort of Boon for them/penalty for me to make up for the time and resources spent to make the hidden holding.
YK - Yuri Khavlor
Lord Mayor of Lyssan
“Nature is not cruel, but pitilessly indifferent. The hardest lesson for one to learn, is to admit that things might be neither good nor evil, but simply callous -- indifferent to all suffering"

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sat Dec 14, 2019 10:25 am

To have the hidden holding owners get RP and GB from their holdings couldn't you set up an NPC player... give them a lot of GB and RP and set that NPC to give tribute to the hidden holder owner? And have the owner keep track of the holdings in his/her board?

Not sure about how to set up the scouting ability of holdings. Does the program always list the name of a units owner? Can more than one person "own" a unit in the program? Like could an AAA Scout be owned by LA but show up as AAA and not LA?

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:00 am

TA - Niall Cole wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 8:18 am
It is, of course, but the knowledge will still change your behavior even if you try to act without it. You might either not do something you might have done without the information because you are now afraid that you are meta-gaming, or do something you might not have done for other reasons because of the knowledge (and because humans are designed for motivated reasoning and convincing ourselves to do what we want to do.)
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:02 am

I can flag all hidden holdings as being AAA actually, yes. At least you wouldn't know WHO had that hidden holding you don't know about.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:12 am

Well couldnt there be AAA holdings in every province? No one would know which were actually owned and which were just place holders?

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:17 am

GLV - Gaius Lucius Vorenus wrote:
Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:12 am
Well couldnt there be AAA holdings in every province? No one would know which were actually owned and which were just place holders?
That's a good idea. I mean, you would know if it goes from 0 to 1, but it would make sense. If the mob starts shaking people down, or if there is a huge smuggling ring, it would make sense that people would know that activity is going on but not necessarily who is behind it.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:25 am

Haha... and when there are 2 AAA Law 0s you start to really worry!

RaH - Rassan al Hamam

Post by RaH - Rassan al Hamam » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:32 am

So lets say someone tried to get 3 Secret Holdings in your Realm and you are asked how much to bid against and you say 10 each.

Then 2 of those attempts fail and you know who tried to do those 2 attempts. But since I spent more RP then used on those 2, would I know that someone probably succeded somewhere?

Or even where since the knowledge of Spending RP(Power) to stop those attempts must come from something.

WM - The Waste Mage
King

Post by WM - The Waste Mage » Sat Dec 14, 2019 11:34 am

Well just set up 3 AAA level 0s in every province. If someone wants a hidden holding you dont have to set the AAA holding up as the actual level of the holding. You just give the owner one of the level 0 AAA holdings so that holding does the job of scouting. You have one NPC set up with a million GB and RP. You use that NPC to give tribute to the hidden holder owner depending on what level their hidden holding is.

So if I make a hidden holding in Dunscaith. You set up one of the AAA level 0s as belonging to me. This allow the scouting of the province to be sent in turn. Then if I rule the hidden holding up to level 1 or higher you have the NPC set up a tribute to me of 1 RP and 1 GB per hidden holding level. Just have the income be 1 GB per level and say it is due to it being hidden that it does not get a full die roll.