Frequent Investitures/Holding Swapping

DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas

Re: Frequent Investitures/Holding Swapping

Post by DCT - Destiny Corben-Talas » Fri Jan 03, 2020 6:59 am

I think the power of the priesthood is quite nerfed, since no Excommunion exists, regents doesnt follow faiths really, they can use any priest to make an Investidure. Its like asking an Azrai priest to make an investidure for heir of an Avani faithful. Technically is possible without any trouble. Only a real few people have publicy stated their faith, apart of templers and paladins.
“No dimensions are closed to the ones in service of the Universal Law.”
Nur Hayati Corben-Talas

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 9:32 am

All investitures MUST use the state faith, if one is officially recognized...

TH - The Hunt
Emperor

Post by TH - The Hunt » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:36 pm

The state faith of the recipient? Are two priests needed if both regents are receiving and have different faiths?
"The Hunt rides. The Hunt protects."

WB - Water's Blessing
King

Post by WB - Water's Blessing » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:39 pm

I'd assume the state faith of the one transferring the holdings rather than the one receiving them. You have to have the gods sign off on you abandoning your responsibility more than you need their permission to take on a new challenge, and you need the moral recognition that you are a legitimate ruler of your new lands.

EDIT: In response to the above, I do think guilds and sources should be able to be transferred without a temple (or, might require one specific temple, like a temple of magic or a temple of commerce) and I disagree with BSB that temples shouldn't be treated differently. Even though the churches are pantheistic, they also represent specific pantheons and likely emphasize different celestial understandings. Temples are also what give the whole thing moral legitimacy. It's a lot harder to transfer moral legitimacy than political or especially mercantile control.
Last edited by WB - Water's Blessing on Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:42 pm, edited 2 times in total.
WB - Temple of the Water's Blessing

"You can be forgiven, if you make amends..."

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 1:40 pm

Yeah, agreed. State Faith of the one giving up holdings. If it is a trade of holdings, both would need to be involved, I guess. It's a free action for the priests, so why not? Better be good at diplomacy to convince them.

TPK - The Pirates

Post by TPK - The Pirates » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:12 pm

I'd think it is of the receiving or you put additional power behind state faiths and the ability to block anything they disagree with.

History is full of transition of power that the church did not desire or agree with

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:14 pm

But you can always rescind their official statefaith-status, with an action. Or think it is too onerous to agree to a state faith in the first place.

It took a number of steps for the Church of England to form too, after all.

DM Juan
Site Admin

Post by DM Juan » Fri Jan 03, 2020 2:15 pm

Also, the Gods in BR are errrm, more directly involved in the whole world process than they were in the Medieval times. ;)

SG - Sigrun Godefroy

Post by SG - Sigrun Godefroy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:15 am

just need some anti-popes running around helping settle matters
Sigrun Godefroy warrior of Hircine

SG - Sigrun Godefroy

Post by SG - Sigrun Godefroy » Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:25 am

I think a part of the reason there was so much swapping was because of the mega alliances that pop up, in future games there might need to be a sunk cost for each member of an alliance, like each person you ally with costs 10% of your rp/gp income, that way you need to be choice with who you ally with, and giant networks are less likely to develop which can lead to massswapping.

you could also havet he alliences be tied to either the ruler, or to the nation as well,having them tied to the ruler i think makes things more dynamic, and i think you can have say one free alliance, which makes other things such as marriage economic trade or other factors of mutual assistence more valuable than just we're allied. it gives a reason why you go to some one's aide as well.
Sigrun Godefroy warrior of Hircine